region free dvd

tiger

hi guys

can anyone tell how to / which software to convert a pal dvd to region free???

tiger

PAL has nothing to do with DVD regions. A DVD can be PAL or NTSC, and completely unrelated to that, it can be restricted to a region or region free.

If it is restricted to a region, you need a DVD player that can play that region. Some DVD players can play all regions.

But you cannot change the disc itself. Of course, if it is not copy protected, you can copy it and make the copy region free (though it will still be a PAL DVD). However, most discs that are for a specific region are also copy protected.

so if i convert my film to ntsc in premiere, which sound format is recommended as I have heard that not all ntsc players are mpeg2 compatible.

tiger

The difference between PAL and NTSC is that they have different scan and frame rates. DVNTSC usually runs at 29.97fps as PAL runs at 25fps. In Final Cut Studio you can convert footage through Compressor to mpeg2 for DVD. What it does is it separates the audio from the video and then you can burn it onto DVD or wherever from there. The audio is converted to an aif or ac3 file. The Region process takes place in programs like DVD Studio Pro where you set the number of regions where the DVD will work. USA and North America is Region 1, UK and Europe is Region 2 I believe.

tiger said:
so if i convert my film to ntsc in premiere, which sound format is recommended as I have heard that not all ntsc players are mpeg2 compatible.
If you want to distribute your DVD in the US and/or Canada, use NTSC. If in Europe (and most of the rest of the world), use PAL.

All DVDs are in the MPEG-2 format. Well, maybe when the DVD format was first released, they might have been in MPEG-1, but worrying about that would be like not wanting to release a Windows programs because it will not run in MS DOS. If any DVD player cannot handle MPEG-2, then it needs to be replaced because it cannot play any of the standard DVDs.

Also, unless you are a major movie studio, make your DVD region free. The only reason for the regions to exist is because the studios do not release their movies all over the world at the same time. If they are releasing something in theaters in one part of the world while they are already releasing it on DVD in another, they want to prevent the audiences in the delayed-release part of the world from seeing it on DVD because they think it would cut into their theater sales. But for any student film maker this is a non-issue, and indeed most of us would be happy if people all over the world were interested in buying our DVDs, so we would be fools to actually block them.

Oh, and MPEG-2 has nothing to do with sound. PCM is your best bet for 2-channel stereo sound.

You might be interested in reading the DVD FAQ.

Network Sponsors

Back