Problems with capturing (newbi)

Mr. Malcolm

Just got FCP 5, running on a 2.8, 4GB G5. Trying to capture some footage but, the program seems to be running really slow.

For instance, while trying to change the input settings to the correct format (DV 48 khz NTSC) under the capture settings tab, I'll get the "twirling unbrella" for about 10 min. and then have to manually turn off the computer.

Or, if i hit play and then the capture button to quickly, the computer will freeze up and give me the twirling unbrella again.

Or, if I just want to check the "preview audio" box, it will sometimes freeze.

Anyway, these are all pretty basic tasks, and should not be a problem with the system I have. I susspect that it might have something to do with the RAM allocation or something. I'm only guessing though since I'm completely new to both Macs and FCP.

If you have any thoughts, please post.

There is obviously something wrong with your install of FCP? What OS you running? What have you done to cure the problem?

First, consider this:
Are you using an external hard-drive?

Second, if you are, you CAN NOT capture to that drive!
You need to capture and work from your internal hard-drive with FCP, external FireWire drives are not acceptable work & capture platforms... just extra storage.

Third, if that doesn't solve the problem we need more info... what you're using to capture with... etc.

Network Sponsors

Back