Practice Makes Perfect

Kim Welch

Staff member
Grandfather said, "Practice makes perfect" but I have heard other thoughts that are more in line with the issues I face and I am sure others face. I want to do something perfectly or darn near it so I don't do anything. I remember in school the fear of turning in a paper and having it graded. At some point in college, I snapped and decided I didn't have to make all A's and what I really want is the 3 or 4 credit hours required for my degree.

I started turning papers in and yeah I didn't get the top grades at first but then things started moving and as I was getting more relaxed with just turning in my work on time. Then I told a friend about not getting a good grade on a paper I wrote and he told me that if I wanted a better grade put more time into it.

He was holding up his left hand and right hand in front of him like like he was a scale weighing fruit of some kind and moving the left saying, "more time" and then moving his right hand up and down and saying, "equals a better grade" I took his advice and started making better grades and made the deans list while working full time.

The moral of the story is to stop trying to be perfect and get in the game. If you're not happy with the output put more time into it. "The more you think about how lighting works the better you're going to be at it" Peter Stein, ASC.

Use your camera, use your editing programs, and whatever other creative instruments you have and do something. Make videos, take photos, use your lights ... It's not going to be perfect but don't like that stop you from making something good.

Have a great Saturday! Let me know your thoughts. I will be checking in off and on today!

Kim

Last edited:

Network Sponsors

Back