'Pi Look' How can i achieve this

N

nurological

Hi im new to the forum and was wonderign if anybody could give me some pointers on how to achieve the 'Pi' look on digital. Ill be using a Cannon xl2. Its a film made in 1998 by Darren Arnovsky

Any help would be great.

PI look- examples?

PI look- examples?

What exactly is the PI look? Can you link to/ describe some examples?

High contrast...
If you want to achieve this look with video,
I think I would:
-try using hard single and double source lighting with little or no diffusion.
-crush the blacks, and raise the whites in post...

hope that helps

It was shot on high contrast black and white reversal film. With an xl-2 i have no idea if its possible to achieve that exact "look". You'd be better off using that look as a spring board for your own look, since that look is most likely unachievable. The reason for this, lies in the fundamental differences of the recording devices. On film, grain has a random, what many call "organic" quality that simply can't be recreated. In addition, the image you get on the xl-2 will be far sharper around the edges than any film camera, and this can only partly be compensated for.

You can find a kind of "digital equivelant" look if you light very well. Through lighting you can most likely achieve a semblance to that found in Pi. In the end though, the properties of film, and especially the coniditions under which that film were shot are difficult to emulate on a digital medium. Especially if you're not shooting on HD, since any color correction/contrast that you do in post will take a far harsher toll on the film. Post work you do will degrade the image quickly (artifacting, digital noise).

Network Sponsors

Back