Panasonic's AJ-SDX900...

D

Digigenic

I've known about this camera for some time, heard great things, but never paid much attention. That is until I was browsing cable and came across the MTV reality television show "Laguna Beach", and I really dug the aesthetic; forget about the content, I loved the feel, I knew it was digital and I thought it might have been HD, then I discovered they were shooting on a Panasonic DVCPro AJ-SDX900. Have any of you seen the look of this show? I still haven't found out what kind of lenses they're using, or what kind of post process it goes through for color correction, hopefully it's just FCP and their color correction tools. If that's the case, then I'm in love with yet another camera...and it isn't even HD 8)

hmm... interesting...
haven't seen the show... but the short film I'm script supervising right now is using a panasonic camera... I think it's the VariCam... but I'm not positive... I'll check it out tomorrow to verify if it's the HDX or the SDX...
but if the SDX is anything like the HDX... which I'm sure it's fairly similar, excepting the resolution of course... it really would shoot wonderful images.

I like Panasonic and the support you get with these guys

I like Panasonic and the support you get with these guys

I like the panasonic camera family and the panasonic support team.

Kim

So I checked on it...
and we're actually using the previous version of the VeriCam series of camera... which could actually be upgraded for rather cheap according to our producer (who owns the camera).

Anyhow... it really shoots wonderful images... truely beautiful.

Keep us posted

Keep us posted

I hope I can get one of the new Panasonic HD cameras for the Roy Wagner DVD series. Keep me posted on these cameras by Panasonic.

Kim

Does that mean you are shooting the DVDs? Does anyone have any links to footage from this camera? And one last question, does anyone know if cameras can be financed....It seems like the better option than renting if its possible because I can tell it would be hard for me to apply a strict production schedule with no solid crew to recruit. So instead of paying 150 bucks a day, you can that same amount per month ya know. Anyone ever looked into this?

Panasonic probably has some financing options available through their website... but you'll be looking at a lot more than 150/month.... because the camera is rather expensive...
and then on top of that you have to buy accessories like Tripod, batteries, power/charger, lenses, etc... and then there are other gear items ala: video village, lighting packages, etc...

I think Roy has said it best in the past... if you're going to buy something... buy lights... get a great lighting kit and rent the rest... maybe even put some money into microphone gear...

Only get a camera if you absolutely know that you're going to be using it back to back on projects that generate you money... otherwise even the 4000 dollar DVX is too expensive.

Yah, but If I'm shooting a documentary over the course of several months, renting would still be impractical and extremely expensive. Not to mention that the nature of the shoot would be to capture spontaneous moments. Puchasing the camera might be taking an intentional financial burden/loss. And then after the project would be the time to decide whether to use it on future projects or to sell it and pay the rest off.

Just found out that the cameras are outfitted with high definition lenses from Fujinon, shooting in 1.8:1 widescreen.
Still haven't found out what they're using in post in though... :?:

SDX900

SDX900

I shot a short film in August with the sdx900 and was very happy with the camera. I used the old Cannon HD Prime leses which, although they are tough to pull focus with, I (or my assitant) had no problems. At the post house where the film was cut, everybody thought it was 35mm. A little lighter and more compact then a full HD rig, or at least the Panavision/Sony HD.

That's awesome, thanks John, and welcome to the forums :)
Can't wait to see the site once it's up and running. Is this project of yours destined for any festivals? Can't wait to hear more about it, please keep us updated.
Thanks again, much appreciated

The SDX900 is a great camera. Panasonic is located in New Jersey, and I am a member of the New Jersey Final Cut Pro Users group. At one of our meetings early last year, a Panasonic rep came to demonstrate the camera and its features. A truly astounding camera. As a result, one of our members applied for the Panasonic Filmmaker's grant and won the use of an $18000 SDX900 camera package and 10 hours of DVCPRO50 tape. In August we filmed the feature "The Court Jesters" (www.courtjestersmovie.com), which should be coming out Fall 2005. I worked as a grip and 2nd AC for part of the shoot, and the camera was amazing. It was outfitted with the P+S Teknik Pro35 adapter with 35mm prime lenses (I don't remember which ones). To see the images the camera put out right there on set was astounding. I can only imagine what the finished, color-corrected film will look like.

I've also recently had the opportunity to work with the Panasonic Varicam, the HD brother of the SDX900. An astounding camera, but with it's own set of advantages and disadvantages. Pulling focus on that bad boy is very difficult.

Anyway, I'll try to write a couple of reviews in the tech section. I just wante to add my two cents and congratulate Panasonic for putting out some great products (I"m a Sony man myself, so it's saying a lot).

-Chris

That's awesome Chris, I remember meeting some of the guys from the FCP user group at DV Expo East and hearing about the project back then. Congrats on all of it, I saw the trailer, it looked pretty good.

Digigenic said:
That's awesome Chris, I remember meeting some of the guys from the FCP user group at DV Expo East and hearing about the project back then. Congrats on all of it, I saw the trailer, it looked pretty good.

Hey Jacob,

I think you and I met then! I was trying to figure out who you were around here! Well, good to know.

-Chris

Network Sponsors

Back