newb

fat jack

ok guys i have never made a movie b4 and i need one for a film school scholarship and i need advice about equipment....like i need a good camera with good black and white mode....not cheap looking grayscale...but i dont have lots of money.....................im sure ill have tons more questions down the line but thats what were all here for right....helping each other

umm. its always better to convert the image to black and white in post... (with digital technology anyways)

ok well i have absolutely no production equipment....all i have is the mac in my art classes

not to be rude or anything is jsut have one question, why are you trying to get a film scholarship if you have never made a short or film before.

Try Renting a camera if you dont have a lot of money,but if you want to go to film school then having a camera of your own would probably be best. Canon makes some pretty cheap ($300 +) cameras that can shoot grayscale without having to do it in post, but i have heard the audio is poor

Having the best equipment doesn't mean your going to have a film that will get you a scholarship. The first thing you should attend to is your story. You can have a short that looks great but lacks story, and story is the most important aspect.

Film schools will understand that not everyone entering has 24p or HDV cameras. You just got to work with what you have.

For good equipment it matters with how much your willing and have to spend. I first started off on dinky consumer cameras, so don't get discouraged if thats what you have to use.

In the long run if your looking to buy a camera the DVX100B is a nice camera though you could get the older version which is the A for cheaper and there isn't a big difference between the two (they still both have 24p which is the major feature.) Those range at about 2700-3200.

You could go with a nice 30p 3chip camera like the Sony VX2100 or the DVC30 by panasonic which now go for about 1500-2,000. I myself own the VX2100 its a very nice camera though im upgrading to the V1U.

But again just work with waht you have. If you put time into it and have a good story you should be happy with the results. Also working on lower grade equipment will limit your resources making you a better filmaker and allow you to appreciate the higher end stuff. Good luck.

well really music is my calling but i know the likely hood of me getting into a band and making a living would be close to impossible...i mean i have LOTS of vocal talent but i want to use film as a fallback in case i dont make it....both carreers very unlikely but both are a passion....

fat jack said:
well really music is my calling but i know the likely hood of me getting into a band and making a living would be close to impossible...i mean i have LOTS of vocal talent but i want to use film as a fallback in case i dont make it....both carreers very unlikely but both are a passion....

And you think filmmaking is going to get you a good living?

well this guy from a film school told me he had a guarantee that he could help me get a job in a specified position

yeah he could help TRY and get you the job along with all the others going for it.

Nothing is guaranteed in any industry especialy this one

fat jack said:
well this guy from a film school told me he had a guarantee that he could help me get a job in a specified position

And that job would be what?

well he has several courses offered at his school....i ment to say specified not specific....my bad...i didnt want it to sound like i was lowely productions assistant

Network Sponsors

Back