New Camera

T

TheNewDay P

I just got a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD301 for my birthday. I'm going to start making short films with it then hopefully continue to study film in college. Does anyone have any suggestions on which accessories to buy for this camera? I would appreciate it, thanks. Also, does anyone know of any websites I can check out to see any tips, tricks, or tutorials to help me using this camera or cameras in general? Thanks.

Re: New Camera

TheNewDay P said:
I just got a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD301 for my birthday. I'm going to start making short films with it then hopefully continue to study film in college. Does anyone have any suggestions on which accessories to buy for this camera? I would appreciate it, thanks. Also, does anyone know of any websites I can check out to see any tips, tricks, or tutorials to help me using this camera or cameras in general? Thanks.

I never used that camera model, but some basic accessories would be.
1. tripod
2. lights
3. microphones (if you see yourself doing documentary/mtv/school news style interviews)

Plus8Digital

Plus8Digital

where do you live TheNewDay? Plus8Digital sponsored our Burbank workshop with Roy Wagner in September and I am sure they can help youwill all the things you could possibly think of. they have offices on the east and west coast. http://www.plus8digital.com you can call them and ask about the things you might need and I am sure they will help you.

Kim

Well, the DVDCam format is intended primarily for point and shoot (home movies). Though, that shouldn't prevent you from experimenting. The DVD media format is rapidly evolving at such an unpredictable rate, there aren't too many people that I know of at the moment that have taken the plunge to try and do anything cinematic with it. With Blu-ray and HDDVD format wars, people are somewhat hestiant to committ to anything outside of traditional tape at the moment. I'm sure there are some user groups out there using these types of camcorders, but if they're actually using it to shoot anything outside of home videos...I have no clue? Will you also be editing? As the biggest benefit [to me] is the instantaneous file load up from DVD onto your system for editing.

Re: Plus8Digital

Re: Plus8Digital

KimWelch said:
where do you live TheNewDay? Plus8Digital sponsored our Burbank workshop with Roy Wagner in September and I am sure they can help youwill all the things you could possibly think of. they have offices on the east and west coast. http://www.plus8digital.com you can call them and ask about the things you might need and I am sure they will help you.

Kim

Thanks for the feedback Kim. I live in Florida. I'll take a look at the link you provided me. Thanks again.

Digigenic said:
Well, the DVDCam format is intended primarily for point and shoot (home movies). Though, that shouldn't prevent you from experimenting. The DVD media format is rapidly evolving at such an unpredictable rate, there aren't too many people that I know of at the moment that have taken the plunge to try and do anything cinematic with it. With Blu-ray and HDDVD format wars, people are somewhat hestiant to committ to anything outside of traditional tape at the moment. I'm sure there are some user groups out there using these types of camcorders, but if they're actually using it to shoot anything outside of home videos...I have no clue? Will you also be editing? As the biggest benefit [to me] is the instantaneous file load up from DVD onto your system for editing.

Yes, I will be shooting then uploading the content onto my computer, where I will then edit. Speaking of editing... I'm planning to purchase Adobe Premiere Plus. Would you suggest another program to use? Thanks again for the feedback.

Well, I'm not sure which codec the DVD Camcorder's footage is in, it's probably just MPEG2?, but still, I don't know if there's supposed to be special support for it, and if there is, I don't know which applications support it. I hope it doesn't require proprietary Sony editing solutions, wouldn't surprise me though. At any rate, I use a Mac for editing, therefore I use Final Cut Pro 4.5/HD for editing MiniDV material. I've done limited editing on a PC, I know Adobe makes fine products, I can suggest you take a look at Sony's editing products, and Pinnacle's products as well.
Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Network Sponsors

Back