Need Help. On playback, footage keeps breaking up.

robertc

I am using a Sony HDR-FX7. I shot 1080i in 4:3 format. When I go to playback, the footage keeps stopping in mid stream, and the timecode does as well. It seemed to shoot fine, but I can not figure out why the timecode and film keep breaking up. The audio is doing the same. I put older footage back in adn it played fione, so I don;t think the head need cleaning. Is there something with the time code that keeps making the film stop. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have a SonyHDR-FX7, but your resolution choice caught my eye. It would seem that 1080i (a 16x9 format) might act wacky if you then also tell it to be 4x3. Am I missing something here or guiding to a solution. Not sure. Anybody?

filmmakerone said:
It would seem that 1080i (a 16x9 format) might act wacky if you then also tell it to be 4x3.
1080i is not a "16x9 format". All 1080i means is that you get 1080 lines interlaced over two fields per frame. It can be used for 16x9, and often is, and then you get 1920 pixels per line. But it also can, and is, used for 4x3, with 1440 pixels per line.

Right now, at least where I live, most TV programming comes in 16x9 and most TV advertising comes at 4x3. And NBC Nightly News is doing something where they shoot their anchor in the studio at 16x9. But they shoot all of their field news at 4x3 and then pad it with color patterns on both sides to get 16x9. And then they air it at 16x9 over HDTV and at 4x3 over analog TV.

Network Sponsors

Back