Near Broke Southern Screenwriter and aspiring producer...

Near broke southern screenwriter and aspiring producer with no contacts or places to start my craft. All I have is my JVC MiniDV camera and some resources at my university library. Other than that all I have is my imagination and visions in my head and I don't know where to begin. I can't see me doing anything else that's not filmmaking or anything else so what I am looking for is for some sort of guidance in an area where I don't know where to turn. I am from Tennessee and I go to school at the University of Tennessee Knoxville. I hear that there are some production companies here, but how do I go about approaching them for interships or anything of that nature? I would really appreciate any type of tips or advice that anyone will give me.

the best thing to do is to make your self a demo reel. So just put like 3 of your best films in a 6 minute reel for people to see your "skills" and then attach a letter of intent with your reel. Clearly state what you want to do, where you want to be in 5-10 years and what your passions are.

besides that, look them up in the phone book. call people and ask for interviews or to meet people. ANYONE is good, the more people you meet the better. just GET YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR. then everything starts to work on its self... the snow ball effect.

have you done any work what so ever in film before?

if yes, post a few videos or films you have made, even stills etc and we, on the forums, can help you make your 6 min reel/portfolio.

GL!

I used to do on-line sessions at this place in Burbank called Sunset post. I was always impressed by this kid there. He had apparently just walked in and said I'll do anything. The owner hired him to clean up, get client meals, and any odd job. He did everything with a great attitude. After about a year, he was able to worm his way into the telecine room. Within a few years he was one of the top telecine operators/colorist in town working with top Hollywood DPs. I guess the moral of the story is don't be afraid to start low and make sure you do every lousy little job with a smile.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com

Thanks for your replies, fellas. I have only done like events and things of that nature. as far as doing an actual 5 minute film? people either dont have the time or patience or they want me to work for THEIR own film with no imput from me at all... I have no trouble doing that but I want to have my own voice heard and I don't mean that in a snobby know it all way. I have always been helping people succeed and haven't had a chance to work on my own success or career and that can hurt me in the long run. I would like to talk to someone on here on a regular basis s here is my Yahoo and AIM: screen names: crazynicca2001@yahoo.com & crazzynicca2001@aim.com

dude, i feel your pain! stay away from other aspiring directors unless you just want advice about how they did it. I like chatting with them online, but I try to stay away from them like the plague when I'm getting a production off the ground. Why? cuz they all have their own ideas of how it should be done.

recruit some english majors who write short stories and find some theater aspiring actors to collaborate with. since you're a writer, that's even better since you can write your own short stories. make them under 5 minutes. as you get a better handle on each story, go larger and increase the number of ppl. when you have at least 15 minutes of stories made, have a min screening and fill the other 15 minutes with behind the scenes stories and intro your cast and crew, etc for a nice 30 minute screening.

keeping moving up that way.

good luck!

mark.

Network Sponsors

Back