My mountain won't fit in my TV set.

Mr Taylor

Things that work on a large Cinema screen will not work on a small TV screen.
A landscape with a small figure tracking across will work well on the large screen, while on tv it will have you rushing to the tube to clean off what looks like a wandering insect.
A close up of Angelina Jolie looks good on the small screen, but on the large screen you just wonder why you never noticed how skin has so many pores in it.

How can yo win?

Take the easy way out and shoot masters of everything?

I have thought some more about this.
After reading how Hitchcock "framed for emotion"I think I have a way to see this problem.
So, how do I get the emotion of "wonder" at the sheer size and beauty of landscapes?

Easy. You can't.

A lot of the "wonder" of landscape comes from the 3d nature of vision.
And a screen is flat...so that's where it ends.

However, I think you might be able to use the face of the characters and looking up type shots and forground objects for depth...to sort of fake the sterioscopic effect of vision...and paint the sense of awe (second hand through the actor) directly into the mind of the viewer.

pretty good

pretty good

sounds like you have a pretty good idea there. sounds, silences, expressions, music visual color. also, you know i mountian on a big 60 foot screen looks pretty awsome.

Ignore it and shoot it the way you want.

If people are too small, then bring them closer into the foreground or make them dynamic from further away. They did this in Forrest Gump and, more recently, in Mama Mia!.

If you are seeing too many pores and such on the faces of celebrities just remember: they have armies of makeup professionals and digitally airbrush that stuff, too!

Goood point!

just do it.

I just remembered about the make up ladies when you said that last point.

I was (supposed to be) directing a TV thing ages ago, and the make up lady wanted to put softener on my skin even though I was not even on screen..I mean I was not even doing any work...I was just sitting there in my little chair, letting all the professionals get on with the jobs.

I tell you the truth, I had to let her put stuff all over me just to get some peace.

I remember the heat of the lights being a problem for people, they needed to be dabbed lots so the skin was dull...

Network Sponsors

Back