My First Reel

camilatorti

Hello! I wanted to share with you my first reel. I really don't have much work but although a lot of people didn't recommend me creating a reel before having done more projects, I found out that people won't hire you if you don't have anything to show to them. That was becoming a frustrating cycle so I decided to make one with the material I had and hope something comes up.

I am open to all the feedback you can give me to improve my reel as this is the only thing I have as proof that I am actually a filmmaker 🤣. I also was wondering if I should clarify somewhere that I am not the director of this short films, I did only did technical roles (and a lot of them).

I'll leave you the link so you can watch it on Youtube. Thank you!

Filmmaker and Editor Reel

@camilatorti this is a very good reel! I read the captions, in under a minute, you managed to send a very powerful message, too!

What a lovely reel, Ms Camila! How long did it take you to film all the scenes? It must have been a lot of work behind the scenes and in pre-production to prepare this.

Similarly, a sensitive topic like this won the Cannes a few years back. I am referring to the movie from 2013 "Blue Is the Warmest Colour". You should enter this contest. Maybe you will too, win. You never know until you try. Good luck regardless!

Wow this is very cool! What camera did you use to film all those scenes?
Thank you! I filmed this projects in the course of two years so we used different cameras, all of the very old models :ROFLMAO:

The first one is filmed with a Nikon 5200 with a 24mm and 35mm.
The second one is filmed with a Canon T3i with 50mm and 35mm.
And the last one is Nikon 5200 again with 35mm and 50mm.

You have approached a sensitive topic in a very creative way. Is the movie ready to watch? :)
There are 3 shorts films in this video. The first one about the nun and the last one of the woman in wheelchair are finished and we are trying to get them to some festivals. The one in the middle about a sex worker is not finish yet as we are having many problems related to production. It's a very difficult project but I hope to finish it someday.

Tales of a Woman in Wheels - Trailer

What a lovely reel, Ms Camila! How long did it take you to film all the scenes? It must have been a lot of work behind the scenes and in pre-production to prepare this.
Actually, these are short films I did during the course of two years, they are not shots I did on my own. These belong to two documentaries (the sex worker and the woman in the wheelchair) and a short film about a lesbian nun. I just left my cinematopraphy (as in cinema storytelling) work I had to make a reel (I also work doing advertising) because that's the field where I want to work.

Similarly, a sensitive topic like this won the Cannes a few years back. I am referring to the movie from 2013 "Blue Is the Warmest Colour". You should enter this contest. Maybe you will too, win. You never know until you try. Good luck regardless
Wow, Cannes, that'd be great. But I don't think the quality of the short film is good enough for it, mainly the sound, it has too many problems. Either way we are trying to get it to other festivals but there's been not luck yet 😭

Thank you!! I read that was a very good trick for a reel which also shows your editing skills so I decided to try it out!
It was a successful attempt in that case! :D

Hello Camila,

First of all, thank you so much for sharing your very awesome and cool film editing reel! I truly enjoyed watching it!

I read your question or idea of whether or not you should, as you wrote, "clarify somewhere that I am not the director of this short films, I did only did technical roles (and a lot of them)."...

So, I did a few seconds search online for a quick example. This is just a random example, but take a look at how the film editor of this reel placed his name and job title at the beginning of the reel (intro), he included the title "Demo Reel" so that the viewer understands what the video is if they were to only go by the video (and not text description notes outside the video), he also included a quick glance of the post production software he works in; and take a look at how he specified the "technical parts" of what he did for each project. Also, he clearly names each of the project titles, so you can tell visually what is the "start and end" of each project example.

Also, at the end of the reel, he placed his name again, and his contact details at a glance.

Let me know what you think!

Hello Camila,

First of all, thank you so much for sharing your very awesome and cool film editing reel! I truly enjoyed watching it!

I read your question or idea of whether or not you should, as you wrote, "clarify somewhere that I am not the director of this short films, I did only did technical roles (and a lot of them)."...

So, I did a few seconds search online for a quick example. This is just a random example, but take a look at how the film editor of this reel placed his name and job title at the beginning of the reel (intro), he included the title "Demo Reel" so that the viewer understands what the video is if they were to only go by the video (and not text description notes outside the video), he also included a quick glance of the post production software he works in; and take a look at how he specified the "technical parts" of what he did for each project. Also, he clearly names each of the project titles, so you can tell visually what is the "start and end" of each project example.

Also, at the end of the reel, he placed his name again, and his contact details at a glance.

Let me know what you think!

Thank you very much! That was very useful!!

Hello! I wanted to share with you my first reel. I really don't have much work but although a lot of people didn't recommend me creating a reel before having done more projects, I found out that people won't hire you if you don't have anything to show to them. That was becoming a frustrating cycle so I decided to make one with the material I had and hope something comes up.

I am open to all the feedback you can give me to improve my reel as this is the only thing I have as proof - OGWhatsApp that I am actually a filmmaker 🤣. I also was wondering if I should clarify somewhere that I am not the director of this short films, I did only did technical roles (and a lot of them).

I'll leave you the link so you can watch it on Youtube. Thank you!

FM WhatsApp
Awesome. Its was very nice. I am also looking for the good short film.. Hope !! Cheers<<

Network Sponsors

Back