Test Reel [super8 8mm film]

Uncle_Jonno

Hi. I'm new to the forum.

I recently purchased an 8mm camera from a local charity shop. A Hanimex CPM 53.
I filmed a test reel on Kodak 50D film stock and recently received a digitisation of the results.

The main things I learned from the test reel are that:
  • It is important to pay attention to luminosity, as the film can become under-exposed indoors and over-exposed in bright sunlight.
  • Lens flare can obscure the picture.
  • Use a tripod. (I just forgot to bring one with me when I shot.)

If you would like to watch the test reel or offer comments or questions, I have included a YouTube link to the video.

Hello Uncle Jonno and welcome to the forums!
The test run and your observations can be extremely useful. Looking forward to seeing more from you on the forums :)

I tried enhancing the video with some digital colour adjustment. I just set the input threshold levels of the blacks and whites. It helped compensate for exposure problems, and interestingly it also brought out the colour saturation.

Here is the enhanced version.

I tried enhancing the video with some digital colour adjustment. I just set the input threshold levels of the blacks and whites. It helped compensate for exposure problems, and interestingly it also brought out the colour saturation.

Here is the enhanced version.

This version looks better :) When will you go for your next test reel?

This version looks better :) When will you go for your next test reel?
Hi. Thank you for your interest. :)
I have ordered a couple of lens filters to help resolve the over-exposure issue. One UV filter and one 4x neutral density (grey) filter.
I will be more methodical on the next one and specify exactly which functions I wish to test, in some different outdoor locations.
I expect I will have a second test reel complete in January.

As far as tungsten film and lighting goes, that is a different story.

Hi. Thank you for your interest. :)
I have ordered a couple of lens filters to help resolve the over-exposure issue. One UV filter and one 4x neutral density (grey) filter.
I will be more methodical on the next one and specify exactly which functions I wish to test, in some different outdoor locations.
I expect I will have a second test reel complete in January.

As far as tungsten film and lighting goes, that is a different story.
I can't wait to see the next one, you are very passionate about this project.

Hey, I just wanted to bump this post. What is new? What’s happening? :D

Network Sponsors

Back