Music License

F

Franky000

I am creating a gangster film to be entered in a competition for TCM, and was thinking of using the Godfather theme. My question is, would I have to aquire a license to use it within my film?

Heh... why don't you just ask one of the composers in this forum to create a new theme?

Don't ask me because since I posted the suggestion, I would refuse 8) but I'm sure all the composers here are very good...

license

license

Technically you need "permission" to use anything that isn't yours. I say permission and not license as it depends on who owns the publishing is willing to let you do. If your doing a short for festival release, it will cost you far less than if your planning a feature release of the same film. So in short you would technically have to contact the publisher and tell him or her your situation. Chances are for that particular piece they may be a bit restrictive on it's use.

You can get a "sound alike" when you want someone to make the connection with your project to a particular movie without having to get cleared for different licenses. Sound alikes can be seen in many films and tv shows, even The Simpsons when they did their little godfather scene when Marge beat the hell out of everyone at Moe's. Anyway, check out my site, I would be glad to make a sound alike for you. Just email me afterwards if you like the demos, and let me know what you need.
Regards,
Aman

asahi@uvfmusic.com

www.uvfmusic.com

it all depends how old the music is as well because apparently after so many years it loses its liscence/copyright but dont quote me.

I do know you can find liscence free music on the net also

well... you got to wait quite some time in order for the copyright to expire...about the life of the author + 70 years... but depends also from a number of other factors...

i think this helps clarifying what you can use: http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

in my opinion is important to support indie artists and you can find brilliant music to use for a very low cost or even free. places such as jamendo.com or beatpick.com or opsound.com are invaluable sources for music and you promote art too... basically i think is always better to try working with new artists rather then using some old and tired theme..but i understand that in some occasion people really need to use famous tracks..

Network Sponsors

Back