movies to talk about

"The Wedding Banquet"

"The Wedding Banquet"

When I interviewed Mr. John Bailey, ASC about his work on "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" for the magazine, I asked him a few questions about his work on "Groundhog Day."

Other suggestions -

(since these are older films, I don't think it would spoil it for anybody) -

"Eat Drink Man Woman" and "The Wedding Banquet".

I remember first reading about Ang Lee not in a film magazine but in a publication called "A Magazine". This was around 1993. It was such a small blurb, but after reading about him and watching "The Wedding Banquet" when it first came out, I followed all of his work since then.

-

Last edited:
Moon (2009)

Moon (2009)

How about that creepy and clever 2009 movie, "Moon," directed by Duncan Jones, cinematography by Gary Shaw. The lead actors are Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey.

It's not an older movie, so if you haven't watched this yet, read no further.

Clever sci-fi angle on the use of clones in a story.

-

Groundhog Day or Ghostbusters (1984)

Groundhog Day or Ghostbusters (1984)

Two great comedies with strong characters and fantastical stories.

good movies

good movies

what is a good movie? i was talking to an ASC member about movies that are made with an agenda for social change. when i start to think below the surface and what movies mean to us in terms of our society and the issues and changes that are taking place it brings up all kinds of images and statements about what art does and the relationship of art and form. does art follow form or does form follow art?

Do we act out the roles in the movies we see or do the movies show us who we are? Do they move us? do they make change happen? many more questions and examples can be thought of and i think the Rabbit hole goes down further than we like to think about.

It makes me feel I have a responsibility in a way. we have a nature that takes care of things on its own and i don't want to over think about what i create being "good" or "bad" but i want to feel in my heart it is "good" based on my own subjective experience and learning about with what good is. What effect does my art have on the world and what effects to i want it to have?

Have you thought about the question about the effects of violence shown to children? Does it make more violent behavior? I guess this is just a ramble but i think you can see what i mean. what makes a good movie is determined in a subjective way even if it is a collective subjective. I think what children learn is based in part on at least in the classical conditioning thought. So, if they see violent people get all the good things in life and experience this in thier life i think they are going to be violent. but, that is not how the world works. occasionally though you hear about something like the kid that did the wrestling power slam to his little sister and broke her neck. So, what do we do? Make the parents responsible for what the children see and how the interpret the world of movies and the daily life around them but then again. does art follow form or form follow art? and who determines what is good?

for an easy example - a good movie is one that makes billions of dollars if you are the business people that put up the investment but for Michael Moore it is only good if you run the president out of office or cause national outrage. ok,i might edit this cloud of thinking later but i wanted to put something out there that goes below the surface of " wow, i liked that movie it is good"

Last edited:
On the subject of what makes a good movie:
I have a pet peeve about some movies, usually by first-time, independent directors and/or screenwriters (and seen mainly at film festivals), that suggest a perceived need to justify their filmmaking efforts with a nearly pedantic social message. There is a heavy-handedness of subject matter and treatment that screams: "You must learn a great lesson from this very important film, and therefore it's worthwhile for me and for you". This is distinct from a genuine strongly motivated film, in which case the agenda is not a contrived justification. Actually, I suspect that some of it stems from grant money requirements that stipulate social value, ala the FCC's "public interest clause".

Movies can attain worth through less direct and pretentious means, IMHO.
There is value just in the various types of human artistry that are achieved and displayed. That, in turn, can teach us to respect others for those talents, be hopeful about people, and hopeful and reliant toward our own potential.

There's value in the optimism of some movies, even if unrealistic.

There's value in the recognition of a movie production's phenomenal collaborativeness (which is a real word, BTW).

Comedies can be a legitimate method of easing us into some pretty tough subject matter, even though they often treat sensitive subjects with seemingly outrageous humor, like they're making fun of ethical or human-rights matters. And sometimes there are values that are implied and upheld in an "entertainment" film, in a seemingly incidental way, not as heavy-handed messages.

Then again, there are movies like Groundhog Day, which simply have fun with a positive message, but the emphasis is on fun.

So, the value in a good movie may not be just in a narrative message, and if it is a message movie, the valuable message(s) may not be direct.

On the subject of what makes a good movie:
I have a pet peeve about some movies, usually by first-time, independent directors and/or screenwriters (and seen mainly at film festivals), that suggest a perceived need to justify their filmmaking efforts with a nearly pedantic social message. There is a heavy-handedness of subject matter and treatment that screams: "You must learn a great lesson from this very important film, and therefore it's worthwhile for me and for you". This is distinct from a genuine strongly motivated film, in which case the agenda is not a contrived justification. Actually, I suspect that some of it stems from grant money requirements that stipulate social value, ala the FCC's "public interest clause".

Movies can attain worth through less direct and pretentious means, IMHO.

There's value in the optimism of some movies, even if unrealistic.

Comedies can be a legitimate method of easing us into some pretty tough subject matter, even though they often treat sensitive subjects with seemingly outrageous humor, like they're making fun of ethical or human-rights matters. And sometimes there are values that are implied and upheld in an "entertainment" film, in a seemingly incidental way, not as heavy-handed messages.

Yeah, I actually agree.
This is something that hurts the general concensus on indie filmmakers.
The irony is... you'd think it would be the other way around. If you're an indie filmmaker, then you have the liberty to exercise your artistic license ANYway you like to the FULLEST.
You don't know how many times I've had conversations with yuppies that wanted to produce my film project, only to force me to change my story to something that "tells a message" thats "saying something".

Look, I respect film-goers' intelligence. Trust that the audience will be able to think for themselves. If a filmmaker is coming in to preach, people can see right through that.

Some people say "I don't like to see art just for art's sake".
Then, go apply for a job as a news anchorman/anchorwoman/ journalist.
Make documentaries.
Stay away from cinema.

Especially when it comes to a lot of Black indie films. Me, being a Black man, its hard for people to see me in more than just 1 dimension. I have to verbally wrestle with people to get them to see more than just the "urban drama" (which, btw, these days tends to focus a LOT on domestic violence drama, as opposed to the cliche drugs/gangs/basketball).

I think people are afraid to be non-PC.
Whatever happened to just showing a "story" without an agenda or philosophy.
Its like,... now-a-days, everybody thinks they're Nietzsche or Plato.

I just bought GROUNDHOG's DAY on Blu Ray for $6 new at Best Buy. I love this movie irregardless of filmmaking.

The concept is genius. It's a highly underrated performance for Bill Murray. Just look at the range of emotions the guy has to go through. Asshole to Angry to depressed to conniving to sweet. It's also got a not-so-subtle take at filmmaking - which is doing the same scenes over and over and over again.

I read somewhere that Shelly Duvall compared watching this movie to working with Kubrick on THE SHINING...

I think it is brilliant. I love the cinematography. the clock shots. not sure how they were done but the slow motion falling of the numbers really works.

I believe that the movie "Chronicle" has been one of the best movies to come out lately. The story line was a little slow, but it was a very well written and choreographed story line. The effects were great in the movie as well. I don't want to say to terribly much for those that have not seen it yet, but I will end with this. If you have not yet seen the movie, I would encourage you too, it's well worth the time. :eek:

Network Sponsors

Back