Mixed lights in an interview

illia

This week, while I was making an interview with a couple of reds I took a look to the set that a big Tv channel was putting on for another interview. The interview took place in a big room where some outdoor light was coming in trhough the window, and the cameraman used a bunch of kino and some little fresnel ( as quickers I guess), the point is that he used mixed light in his kino, daylight and tungsten balanced equaly distributed.
As I don't know if he white balanced for the average, which would have been weird (in my opinion) I think he just day balanced the cameras and so had as a result a warmer light...
Usaully when I work with video I kind of dislike mixed lights, but the point is that I find that is very difficult to have a pure source (mostly if you're doing ENG)..
The question would be why not use daylight sources for the overall light and then gel some fill light with a little bit of ambar or something... if it's another way to achieve the same result (but easier to control)...but maybe I'm wrong and I did misunderstood the cameraman's intentions

I can't really say what the cameraman's intentions were, whether to have a warm keylight from his Kino or correct for that and have a slightly cold light for the windows, but there's nothing wrong with mixing color temps as long as you like the results, especially if it's not as extreme as the difference between 3200K and 5500K.

We perceive in real life the differences between daylight and interior tungsten, just that it doesn't look as extreme to our eyes, so correcting halfway sort of gives you a realistic effect of the color temp difference in terms of how our eyes perceive the sources.

Network Sponsors

Back