Looking for a great camera for right around $3,000. Help?

F

FractalGirl

First post here (hi all!). I'm a new camcorder user, but I'm a film major, so I know I'll get lots of use out of the camera I buy, and want something I can grow into, rather than something I'll need to replace in a couple of years. So I'm looking for something with as many bells and whistles as possible for under, or right around, $3,000.

Initially, I thought I had settled on a Canon GL2, but after reading about its problems, I've decided to scratch that and look for something else.

On some other boards, there are a lot of regular consumers, which is cool, but I doubt they will be using their cameras as often, or in as many different types of environments, as student filmmakers do, so I'm hoping you can help.

From the reading I've been doing, 3CCD seems important, as does the 16:9 resolution, and I know I'll want good manual controls. Is there anything else that is important to look for? It's good to hear about how your camera handles low light situations. I know that I want something that has good manual controls, as well as automatic (but I know the manual are even more important as I go along), and the ability to change lenses.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm especially hopeful that someone with experience with various camcorders will weigh in. In any case, thanks for reading.

Edited to add: Oh, and because of a complicated situation, I have to find something by monday, Aug 15th.

I'd go for the Canon XL2 or Sony FX1 if you can get them for that price. The DVX100 is well-liked too, but doesn't have a real 16:9 mode.

Hi,

I'm shooting a short on a XL2 in 3 weeks, it's a great camera IF you can get it for around $3000-$3500 i definantly recommened it. If your after something smaller the DVX100 is more practical eg. In a small case you could carry it around in a backpack. Both are great cameras.

James.

Thanks, you two. I've decided on the DVX100a. I know it doesn't have real 16:9, but between the price of the Canon, and the rest of the features the Panasonic has, I think it will work fine for me throughout school.

Now I'm trying to figure out what accessories to get. Any ideas? I know I'll want a UV filter lens, to protect the lens, an extra battery and a tripod. Anything else I should need?

Now I'm trying to figure out what accessories to get. Any ideas?

A good mike, unless you can borrow or hire one for your shoots. Sound is vastly under-rated relative to picture by most people shooting on low budgets, but I've seen plenty of otherwise good movies ruined by lousy sound recording.

Hi,

HDV, to my understanding, and forgive me if im wrong, but is really not that good at the moment. Who do you know that owns a HD TV? Do you have a HD monitor to watch it when your filming? If you use it and film as HD (which it isnt anyway, it's HDV which is the bottom of bottom when it comes to the new format) when do you get it to watch as the format you filmed?
At the moment low budget HD isnt worth the money, soon Panasonic (i think) are bringing out a low budget HD cam that can change frame speed...no specs are released as yet...but sony's first attempt at semi-pro HD will be crushed very soon by the competition and people should wait untill Canon, JVC and Panasonic get involved for some competition .

As for Accesories, Extra batteries can never go astray, a good sturdy case with compartments is a must and Mark is right, sound is so so important.. it's expensive for a good mic but you can not rely on the built in mics for anything....luxuries would be Wide angle lens, filters, lens hood, attachable 100W..there's more Accs then you could poke a stick at....

James.

HDV, to my understanding, and forgive me if im wrong, but is really not that good at the moment.

The Z1 is a little soft due to the 'pixel shift' (uprezzing 960x1080 CCDs to 1440x1080), and the exposure latitude can't compete with 'real' HD cameras, but otherwise the footage looks great. I doubt anyone will use a Z1 for drama except as an experiment, but I've read of one documentary producer switching from HDCAM to the Z1 for a series because the quality improvement in shooting on a $100k HDCAM wasn't worth the extra cost, and others routinely interccutting Z1 footage with HDCAM.

sony's first attempt at semi-pro HD will be crushed very soon by the competition

Not really: there's currently nothing that competes with the Z1 (well, except Sony's other cameras). The new JVC camera is apparently suffering CCD problems, and the new Panasonic requires you to carry around expensive memory cards and have someone copy all the footage to a laptop while you're shooting... it's also reportedly using 960x720 CCDs with 'pixel shift' horizontally in 720p and horizontally and vertically in 1080p, while the Z1 only uses 'pixel shift' horizontally.

If you want a cheap HD camera that records 1080 line HD to tape, Sony is the only option right now.

Hi,

Thanks for clearing it up for me Mark.

Do you really think HDV versus SD is the way to go at the moment? There will be others to compete soon, look at everyone kicking themselves over buying the XL1 only 12 months ago when the XL2 is now out.

James

Do you really think HDV versus SD is the way to go at the moment?

Personally, yes. But if you're not in a great hurry to upgrade I'd wait to see what Canon do with the XL3... if they don't release some kind of HD camera in the next few months their sales will be hurting.

To me that seems like the most serious potential competitor to the Z1 in the next year.

FractalGirl,

Just curious, which film school will you/are you attending? Have you completed any projects yet? Are they up on the web!

Cheers,
Chris
________
CHEAP AIRSOFT GUN PISTOL HAND GUN

Last edited:
The camera you can get now for 3000

The camera you can get now for 3000

Go a little more than 3000 and get the 5D Mark 2. I just saw some clips our Art Director shot and i am amazed. She took night shots of boats on the river and of the city and the quality is excellent.

Network Sponsors

Back