Lighting, Gels, Interiors

petersrin

Shooting on: MiniDV - PV-GS500
Light Sources:
  • Windows:
    [list:869f6f1b91]4 Huge ones (one being 11x10 ft)
    4 Small ones (approx. 3x5 ft)
Incandescent:
  • 5 ceiling lights
    a few lamps here and there
Flourescent:
  • one above kitchen
[/list:u:869f6f1b91]

Some shots walk through the entire downstairs, showing all of these light sources during the take.

There are currently about 4-6 stops different between the inside and outside, depending on the location of the sun. Add some lighting equipment and change the bulbs in the practicals to 100W instead of 60, and I should bring it down to about 2-3 stop differences, maybe even one in closeups. But long shots, and traveling shots, where light sources originally hidden may become visible become a problem. So: ND6 or ND9s on the windows. Right? And maybe even CTO+ND6 combo gel so I don't have to balance my incandescents? The question is, is it possible to gel a huge window perfectly so you don't see odd streaks of dark overlap? Or, are there larger rolls than the usual 48"x25' ? Or am I going about the correction the wrong way? I don't want the outside to be blown out, nor the inside too dark. I shoot in a month. Thanks.

Jeez, that sounds like a terrific challenge! I know the Lee manifactures acrylic panels for CTO and various ND (.3,.6 and.9). They're 5' by 8'. I've never used them and I guess they're pretty expensive. You should check their website and ask for a catalogue (it's totally free).

Hope it helps! I'd like to see some footage, it will be a gorgeous experience for you.

I surfed on the Lee's website and the 4' by 8' ones cost 255 $... Keep me update please! :)

i personaly would try to black out around the windows and put a light outside to keep it constant (I.E a fake daylight) but bright enough not to have to use the interior lights but light it with lamps inside that will be out of shot.

Not using any interior light sources or using sunlight and keeping a constant light in the house so it is no different

if i dont seem to make sense or you want anymore detail send me a P.M and i will try to ellaborate and make more sense.

hope i helped

Well, after looking at the budget, cutting some extraneous 'convenience' equipment, I've secured enough to buy 400 square feet of Rosco's ND9 gel from Hollywood Rentals. If anyone lives near Orlando, they have very competitive prices. It's going to be pretty wild, but it'll work. I'll post the trailer sometime in August. Thanks.

Well, here's a scene from the rough cut. I'm quite excited about how the blackout worked. Of course, due to budget, some shots had to be adapted. Of course, this scene doesn't apply to the above conversation. Turns out, I only bought 100 sq. ft. of ND6, and it worked nicely. Strategic placement of camera allowed us to dodge some trouble spots.

http://www.box.net/shared/c4ih5es87u

Hey there,

stephendurden here with a new account :)

Result looks great. I see that huuuuuuuuge window now, I completely understand your worries :) You managed to do a very good shot, nothing to say. Bravissimo!!!

Network Sponsors

Back