Laptop question from newbie! Please help!

meghnifico

Hi guys. I do hope this post is the right place! I have a pretty burning question I'm agonizing over right now. I've worked on a lot of film making projects in high school-- low budget, really basic ones, though. But I'm enrolling in a Liberal Arts College this fall and want to step it up a level and seriously get into film making. In high school, I used the school's laptop (since we were the main film makers in our tiny school, we could take it home and keep it as long as we liked!) which had Adobe Premiere and After effects for all my editing needs.

Now that I'm going to college, I have to buy my own laptop, and I'm torn between a low end 13" MBP and a much better Dell at the same cost (discrete graphics, better processor, bigger screen, etc). I've always wanted a Mac, and my seniors tell me everyone in my college involved in editing and graphics has one, but the 13" has pretty poor specs for video editing, right? BUT at the same time, I don't think I can afford any video editing software for my Mac in the first year and a half anyway, so what's the point? I'll have to use campus resources anyway, right?

Now, I'm new to all of this, what do college film makers usually do? Especially freshmen and sophmores? Is it okay to go with the 13" MBP and use the labs on campus for video editing, save up and maybe buy a 15" or desktop after 2-3 years? Or do I go with the Dell, which will better support a software which I might only be able to afford a year or so later anyway?

NOTE: my college doesn't offer film production classes anyway, I'll have to take them at a nearby consortium college, which means I don't think I'll be majoring in film producting/editing. I want to do it on a more independent level. Also, since my high school was small, a bunch of us did everything from the writing to the direction to the editing, so I'm not sure which part of film making I want to specialize in, maybe editing won't even be my main priority, you know?

Any and all help/advice is appreciated!

Get a Mac

Get a Mac

Get a Mac. As a student you get software almost free. it is only a few hundred dollars for final cut for education version which is the same. you just have to be a student to get it. check with your campus book store.

Thank you for the advice! My college does give me quite a few softwares for free but unfortunately FCP is not one of them. I could save up and buy it, though! How good will a 13" 2.4 gHz be for my film editting needs though? As a student, good enough?

Network Sponsors

Back