Jr in college needs advice Please!!!

J

jrbg13

Hi!

I am a Jr in college who is trying to merge himself into the film field. Films and music have always been my life and now that I have mastered music in college I want to pursue films. A friend of mine, Jr as well, is an amazing director and when I approached him with my idea for a series of short films, ranging roughly 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, he instantly tackled me with enthusiasm because this is now his Senior project! I do not want to fail him!
I have all the resources I need; a very well written script, props, locales, and production team; but I do not have a decent camera. I have been researching A LOT and $2500 is quite a bit of money for me right now considering my role here at college.
Is there an expensive domestic camcorder I could buy that could compete with indie cameras, ie. Canon SD's? Or do I just have to suck it up and save money?
Any advice?

Joey

First off, check your Universities resources. Many schools have cameras for check out from media services or the library; another option would be if your school has a film club, they may also have cameras for loan/rent. I'm assuming from the sound of it, that your school has some semblance of a film program, so they should have cameras for checkout. Otherwise, someone majoring in film should have a camera, try to find one of them to DP for you.

I did not even think of that! Thanks!!!

My questions about camera expenses domestic and professional indie still stands though. I would like to own my own camera. Any advice on that?

I wouldn't buy a camera until you have the money to buy what you will be happy with. In the meantime, here are some suggestions:
1) check with your local public access cable t.v. station. Sometimes they offer classes which you can take and then pay a yearly fee which allows you to check out a camera. While you're at it, be sure to check out a shotgun mic, too.
2) post an ad on Craigslist under "Gigs" and "Crew" that you are looking for a DP with a 3 CCD camera. Offer to pay them $50/day. You might be able to get an amateur for that. If there are no bites, try offering $75-100/day. Just set up a monitor on the camera (run an RCA cable from the video out on the camera to the video in on a portable t.v.) so you can see that the DP is getting what you want on the shots. Monitor the sound with headphones, too.
3) look in the Yellow Pages for audio/video rentals (I don't know the exact subject heading, but it's something like that.) Check prices for renting a camera and mic. It's not cheap...maybe $150/day for the camera and $50/day for the mic.

I wouldn't buy a camera until you have the money to buy what you will be happy with. In the meantime, here are some suggestions:
1) check with your local public access cable t.v. station. Sometimes they offer classes which you can take and then pay a yearly fee which allows you to check out a camera. While you're at it, be sure to check out a shotgun mic, too.
2) post an ad on Craigslist under "Gigs" and "Crew" that you are looking for a DP with a 3 CCD camera. Offer to pay them $50/day. You might be able to get an amateur for that. If there are no bites, try offering $75-100/day. Just set up a monitor on the camera (run an RCA cable from the video out on the camera to the video in on a portable t.v.) so you can see that the DP is getting what you want on the shots. Monitor the sound with headphones, too.
3) look in the Yellow Pages for audio/video rentals (I don't know the exact subject heading, but it's something like that.) Check prices for renting a camera and mic. It's not cheap...maybe $150/day for the camera and $50/day for the mic.

jrbg13 said:
I did not even think of that! Thanks!!!

My questions about camera expenses domestic and professional indie still stands though. I would like to own my own camera. Any advice on that?

Depends greatly on your budget, but my choice (if I had the money) would be a Panasonic DVX100. You could pick up a used one from a reputable dealer for about $2400. However, many of us cannot afford that, so if you need a camera now, look for something 3CCD with as many manual controls as possible.

i agree with josph boyd

i agree with josph boyd

The panasonic 100a is a great camera around that price range, it shoots in 24p and has almost infinate possibilities if used right but as other people have mentioned you will probably need a mic and several other items. I would look for 3CCD, Manual Zoom, Manual focus, Manual white balance as a bare essentials. another person had mentioned: 1) check with your local public access cable t.v. station. Sometimes they offer classes which you can take and then pay a yearly fee which allows you to check out a camera. While you're at it, be sure to check out a shotgun mic, too. Some you can check out all the equipment for free as long as you give them something to show on the TV station...and you can even edit on their computers if needed.

Canon GL-1

Canon GL-1

Had the same problem last year. I purchased the Canon GL-1. The GL-2 was new at the time and sold for $3,000. I found a second-hand GL-1 through a dealer in Boston who specialized in used equipment and paid $1,275 for mine. Excellent and am very happy with it. Shot my first film, see trailer at http://www.hauntedrandrstation.com. The clip on the Web is not the same quality as the DVD; the real stuff is great. I am shooting a second feature-length film in June with the same camera, with some added accessories this time -like a much needed boom mike system. Here is just one example from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-GL1-Camco...ryZ20330QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But realize that I bought mine a year ago for only $1,275; and their buy it now price is $1,600; so look around and I'm sure you can find something in the $1,000 to $1300 range.

Network Sponsors

Back