Is there still a copyright on an old Charlie Chapin video?

K

katsurth

Hi all, I would love to show a minute or less video clip from a Charlie Chapin video. Would I have to get permission to use that small of a portion or is the copyright on that old video expired? I'm just trying to find some slap stick material to use for the actress watching tv in my film.

Thanks in advance for your input!

That piece of film would definetly be copyrighted... but it could take a long time to find out just who owns the most recent copy of the rights.

Best thing to do in that situation is put something of your own in there.

Another option is to check out the movie archive on the Web: they have a lot of old public domain movies there, though I don't know if there's anything that would suit your purposes. If not, you'd be best to shoot something yourself and use an 'old movie' effect on it.

http://www.archive.org/movies/movies.php

the library of congress website has those sorts of videos as well

Wow, thanks!

Wow, thanks!

Wow, thanks all for reponding. I will definately check out those links! Thanks so much!

Almost all of the Chaplin footage is owned by the estate, which I believe is based in Switzerland. He was VERY copyright smart. And they are notoriously hard on people who use footage...likewise with asking for remake rights. Thankfully they turned down Eddie Murphy cold when he wanted to remake THE KID.

Hope that helps.

Network Sponsors

Back