Is screenwriting a good career?

R

raducangeorgiana

I saw many of you on the forums are screenwriters. I have very little knowledge about screenwriting but I would love to learn more from one of you who are already working as one. Is screenwriting a good career? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I think you should pursue this career as long as it makes you happy. When you do what you love, you won't work a single day in your life.

Hey there! I'm not a screenwriter myself, but I think it's important to pursue a career that makes you happy. If screenwriting is something that interests you, then you should definitely give it a shot! It can be a challenging industry to break into, but with hard work and dedication, it's definitely possible. And who knows, you might end up finding success and loving what you do.
Good luck with your career search!

Last edited:
I will be the realist here and tell you that if you decide to become a screenwriter, you are entering a highly competitive cutthroat industry where only about 5 % of those who try make money and 0,1% are famous names (Aaron Sorkin etc.) making the big bucks.

It will probably take you around 12 years to build up a respectable career, which includes writing daily and networking in your local film industry. A huge advantage is also living in Hollywood or the capital city (or the film industry city) of your country.

I suggest you don't quit your job, or get a part time job and write daily to improve your skills and network with as many filmmakers as possible in your local industry to gain connections and possibly writing gigs after you have written at least 3 good samples (Tv pilots or features).

Major Film festivals (B-level and up) are a good place to network with other professionals.

Best of luck and never give up on your dream!

Network Sponsors

Back