Interested in acting but don't know how to pursue.

Pepe

So I just recently got interested in acting because of a speech I did in high school around a few months ago. It was a monologue from a video game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEWJ-JgVS7Q) and according to my classmates I did a really good. I put a lot of effort into it (something I NEVER do) when I really didn't have to and I enjoyed it so I guess that qualifies as a reason to give it a try. The only problem is there is nowhere within 500 miles that has anything to do with acting. The town that I live in doesn't even have a post office. My school doesn't offer any extra curricular activities either.

I'm planning on moving to a city after high school (1 year from now) to go to college for something. I don't think an acting degree is a very good idea though. Anyways what do you think? Am I just a stupid kid who should do math instead acting or should I work hard to find a place to learn how to act? And where could that place be?

Thanks in advance!

Young Actors Camp in LA

Young Actors Camp in LA

Hi Pepe,

I can see where you are coming from, but if you really are serious about your God-given talent, workshops might give the push you need for your concern.

I once attended a fun summer camp in Los Angeles CA, for acting summer workshops if you plan on coming to CA this summer break. It was so much fun. I attended a 3 week actor's camp with about a hundred of us. We met so many casting directors, learned so much including make-up, props, auditioning and basically how to enjoy all kinds of acting and maybe possibly be serious about it. Almost all are newbies and are currently immersing themselves in the craft.

We even shot a real film with a live audience. it was scary at first but the couselors helped me and taught me what to do. It is called Young Actor's Camp in Laverne. Try it and see for yourself! I attended for 2 years and I did not regret it as it helped me a lot in so many ways. Good luck on your journey!

So I just recently got interested in acting because of a speech I did in high school around a few months ago. It was a monologue from a video game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEWJ-JgVS7Q) and according to my classmates I did a really good. I put a lot of effort into it (something I NEVER do) when I really didn't have to and I enjoyed it so I guess that qualifies as a reason to give it a try. The only problem is there is nowhere within 500 miles that has anything to do with acting. The town that I live in doesn't even have a post office. My school doesn't offer any extra curricular activities either.

I'm planning on moving to a city after high school (1 year from now) to go to college for something. I don't think an acting degree is a very good idea though. Anyways what do you think? Am I just a stupid kid who should do math instead acting or should I work hard to find a place to learn how to act? And where could that place be?

Thanks in advance!

Y'know, the great thing is it doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. While you're still in your small town, pick up a book with some monologues and memorize a couple. There are plenty of books and articles you can read to help you learn a bit about acting, but in the end, experience is the best thing. So practice those monologues (they will come in handy later anyways for auditions) like you practiced your monologue from the video game. Maybe record yourself and post it somewhere to get feedback.

When you move to a larger city, I totally recommend getting involve with community theatre, or if you're at school, whatever theater is happening there. Just audition for a ton of stuff. In the end, even if it doesn't turn out to be a career, it's a ton of fun. I've been doing theater for many years now, and at times even wanted to be a professional actor. I don't anymore, but I still love to get involved with shows.

Good luck!

Network Sponsors

Back