INT. DINING ROOM - NIGHT

petersrin

Most of my film is at night time, interior. Also, the building has a bunch of windows. How do you get a convincing nighttime look during the day with the windows there? It's baffling me.

with something like this the best bet is to shoot at night, otherwise pull a Sam Raimi, just use black cloth over the windows. At night if you have a 1k or above you can use a CTO gel to get have the full moon effect. I have tried it once for a bedroom scene and it worked out nice.

Either you shoot at night, or at least the wide shots and any other shots looking towards the windows, if you want to see a view of city lights, let's say, or some lit-up trees & bushes out there... or you shoot during the day and black-out the windows from the outside, then close the curtains / lower the blinds, so you aren't staring into blackness (which will also become a mirror).

You can also build a black tent outside the windows if you want to be able to put some moonlight effect through them and on the bushes under the window, etc. A bit more complex to set-up.

David Mullen ASC said:
You can also build a black tent outside the windows if you want to be able to put some moonlight effect through them and on the bushes under the window, etc. A bit more complex to set-up.

I agree, the shot I have done was at an 2nd floor apartment, luckly there was a balcony for me to put the light up.

Network Sponsors

Back