Indiana Jones and the saucer men.

Mr Taylor

Indiana Jones and the saucer men.

By chance I stumbled upon a few pre production features (in the extras) on the main DVD.

I was interested to hear how this last film was meant to be inspired by a slightly different genre than the first three.
(The first three movies where inspired by the serials, while this last one was supposed to take a leaf from the B movie book).

What really interested me was the part where they are talking about keeping to the old classic Hollywood cinematographic style.

They talked about that “style” for a bit.
I think I really enjoy that style above all others.
I wonder how to replicate it?
Anyone got any ideas?
What are the main ingredients?

Could you replicate this style with video and the right sort of tweaking in post?

There are a few obvious things, like lighting, colour and how the camera moves.
But what else?

Any ideas or observations welcome.

What really interested me was the part where they are talking about keeping to the old classic Hollywood cinematographic style.

They talked about that “style” for a bit.
I think I really enjoy that style above all others.
I wonder how to replicate it?
Anyone got any ideas?
What are the main ingredients?

Could you replicate this style with video and the right sort of tweaking in post?

Dougie Slacombe was the DP of the original 3 Indiana Jones movies and he was an old school DP THEN (barely hanging in there in his 90's right now), and Spielberg has been using exclusively Janusz Kaminski as his DP since 1997 (and the only movie he hasn't done with Spielberg since 1993 was JURASSIC PARK). Janusz had to emulate both what Dougie did with the previous 3 Indiana Jones, but also the science fiction movies of the 1950's.

You can to a certain degree emulate the color pallette of film stocks from that era. THE AVIATOR from Scorsese does this amazingly well, using the original technicolor and 3 strip color schemes, and it was all done digitally. This doesn't take into account the style of framing shots in that style or all the production design, costumes, make up, etc. that make movies from those eras stand out.

Network Sponsors

Back