Im teenagr eager 2 try n get investors for a short film, is this a good idea 2 try

oscarknott

Is this a good idea: im a teenaga passionat about filmmakin i was thinkin of trying 2 get investors 4 next Short film?
i want to take a more proffesional stance on film making and attempt to make a Short Film that has a budget for once, i was thinking of writing an article for my local gazzet newspaper to get publicity for it and then enter it in lots of film fests. Any tips on my idea?

investors - people with money

investors - people with money

i think it is a great idea to start working on getting money for your films. you are young and have little experience so it will take some real determiniation and smarts. In simple terms what you want to do is find people who have money and talk them into investing in your film, right? did you read other posts here about getting money? there is an article in an early issue of the magazine about a guy that used some creative ways to get money. i saw a post about having fund raising partys to get investors. an investor is going to want to get thier money back with a profit. they will want to know how is that going to work. i have heard that dentists more than anyone else invest in independant films. those are some things i am thinking of off the top of my head at 6:24 AM before coffee!

Last edited:
getting money for your film

getting money for your film

Hey Oscarknott,

If your goal is to make a more professional film, money can help, but practice is what matters most. What aspects of your last film look less than professional? What can you do, within your financial means, to get better? Shot selection? Performances? Story structure? etc.. Money tends to actually be a distraction from getting more professional, because you're still faced with the same basic issue: telling the story. And a bigger budget now means you're trying to tell a story with even higher stakes.

That being said, the key to raising money is coming up with a film idea that's likely to generate revenue. If you do that, like Kim mentioned, investors will jump on board because they'd love to make a profit. So the question goes back to you: why do you REALLY think this short film will make money? Who is going to pay to watch it? Where? How?

If you REALLY think you can turn a profit, then, and only then, go to investors and tell them why you think you can earn them money. If you're really not sure about how you'd make money with it, just keep things on a microbudget, keep practicing, and test some of your marketing ideas that way.

If you need money for some sort of budget, friends and family, in general, would likely toss money your way to get you started, knowing they won't see any money in return. But if you beginning a relationship with investors, that's a different story. There's got to be a sound reason why you think they'll make their money back.

Hope that helps,
B

Really bad

Really bad

I have done several articles on people who had an idea and with little or no experience or practice developed the idea and went out and found ways to finance and get talent and WON major awards. The saying is that practice makes perfect but i say don't wait for perfect. i am not knocking practice but there are talented people that need to follow their own muse. you may have a bright idea that becomes the next hit.

One thing for sure is that I see REALLY bad movies coming out from time to time that cost millions and millions to make. This is not a joke. or me trying to storke you or sound smart. THEY ARE BAD MOVIES. Some of them are so bad that most of the reasonably smart newbies here can do better. I am not joking. I have seen movies where millions of dollars are spent that i will never watch again and never recommend. I can only hope the makers learned from the bomb.

I think these peope know someone or they are really good sales people, right? however, the art of filmmaking is a skill they don't have in their tool kit. One thing for sure money can buy the best talent and the best help.

yes, they want to make money back when they invest. So, make money back for them. Create something people will want to watch and tell others to watch.

I say, believe in yourself make a smart plan and ask for the money and use. You will learn as you go. Do not be a coward. Get your armor on and into battle and learn.

raising money for a short - and practice

raising money for a short - and practice

The saying is that practice makes perfect but i say don't wait for perfect.

I totally agree with Kim. Be very careful of the perfectionism trap.

If you have a short film idea you think will make money, go for it! Talk to investors and see what they say. Learn from their reactions and keep going!

:)

B

Is this a good idea: im a teenaga passionat about filmmakin i was thinkin of trying 2 get investors 4 next Short film?

My question to you would be how do you plan to make money with the short film? In the era of YouTube, content for free is in abundance. Seeking "investors" will entail a business plan or prospectus on how you intend to not only return their principal but also on their investment.

I am not trying to discourage you from making your film or even raising money, but a really solid business plan and the idea of how to appeal to people with money is an entirely different animal to making a movie. One job is for a director, the other is for a producer.

Short films CAN make money, but it's very hard, and a lot of work. As soon as you take money as an "investment", you have an obligation to the investor to do what you promise to do and try to make their money back and something on top.

In most cases, you want to apply for GRANTS, as that's money you don't have to pay back. Look into the local arts counsels and the NEA, and other organizations that support artists, especially since shorts are a loss leader in many cases.

Network Sponsors

Back