I don't really know which kind of mic i'm buying.

filmmaker19

I'll be doing a short this christmas but i'm buying all the stuff right now and interested in a cheap microphone but i don't know what kind of mic it is (shotgun, cardiod, etc...) I appreciate if you take a look at the image and tell me what i'm buying haha. (and if it can be used with a mic stand because i dont want to use it with the "camera shoe") i have a panasonic pv-gs300

model: MZM-1
http://www.dsmiller.com/Images/MZM-1.jpg

What you have there is a stick mic. A shotgun mic is typically much larger and is used with what is known as a boom or rod. Stick mics are wonderful if the camera is going to be very close to the subject but for what you are describing definately go with a shotgun mic and get a rod (not a mic stand).

While it may seem like audio is secondary to video, that is not the case especially when you start to edit. You would be better off to make the investment for you will have to replace your camera equipment before your audio. I recommend a dependable brand like Sennheiser.

How much do you have budgeted? $250.00? $500.00? $1,000.00?

Where will you be primarily shooting? Indoors? Outdoors?

All of these details will help us help you to make a decision.

there are only 2 scenes outdoors (in a park and in a hospital), the others are indoors (in a house, it's an horror movie)... budget $800. I don't live in USA, i live in Venezuela but my brother is going to denver and he'll buy all that stuff and i can't find a store who sells shotgun mics. I searched online and only found CircuitCity (no mics) and BestBuy (only the sima mzm1)

In regards to the indoor/outdoor debate, it doesn't matter. Get a good mic is the key thing. When using external mics you must worry about what kind of cables, if you will need an adapter depending on the camera you have and the range in which the mic will be able to pick up sound. You can get a decent mic for under $500.

Like I said just worry about getting a mic that will fit your camera, your purpose and your budget. When filming outdoor scenes use a windscreen. A windscreen will prevent outdoor noise such as wind. When your shooting indoors you can take the windscreen off but you don't have to.

i made my decision:
Azden ECZ-990. but i was wondering if i can make a homemade boompole hehe...

Last edited by a moderator:

Network Sponsors

Back