how to distribute

A

anupraj

hi friends
i m new to prodections , and planning to make one dvd film,
but my biggest worry is what will happen if distribution company cheats
ie: how to take account of how many coppies have been sell and what should be the share of a distribution company?
pls help me to get rid of this problem.
and tell me the techniqe of distribution in detail, pls pls pls
thans
anupraj ganguly
anuprajfilms@hotmail.com

I don't know about India, but from what my friends have told me from distributing their low-budget movies, you should get the biggest advance you can from the distributor and not expect to see a penny more... profit deals are all well and good, but 'Forrest Gump' never made a profit according to Hollywood accounting.

If you're established you'll probably be able to get more control over the distribution, but for a first-time movie going to DVD that's unlikely.

Dont do that...

Dont do that...

hey dude dont do that first sign a legal contract with them and then ask them for some token money.Read that contract carefully before you sign on it. they all crook specially in india. I went through all of this. Happen with me i waste lots of money to make a movie but did not sign leggal contract with them so when movie was ready to go they tried to black mail me. but any way my advice to you dont trust on them and dont take their bull shit offer like oohh we will give you royalty or we will give you certain amount of money every month bla..bla..bla. so very care full buddy ...

Do your research!

If you are interested in signing with a distribution company...do some research and find other filmmakers who have used them in the past. Call them or email them and get their opinion of how honest they felt the distributor was.

If it is a low budget straight to video movie...you will most likely not get much. Try to get at least some kind of advance. It may be all you ever get.
Also, I recommend splitting up Foreign and US sales between 2 different distributors. That way you have better chances...at least one of them might not screw you...as much. ;)

this is definitely a topic that you should always begin to pursue in the development stage of your movie before even going into pre-production. Unfortunately, it is true that low budget movies almost never see any money in residuals. When I signed my contract I almost negotiated out of the contract because I kept asking for changes.

It is also a good idea to attempt to contact filmmakers who have worked with the company before. I did this for my project and I did not sign anything until I had heard an interview with one someone from the distributor and had received good comments from other filmmakers about them.

One thing to be careful for is to watch out for how much money they spend on advertising, that is often where they get you. Make sure you put a cap on the amount spent and don't let them spend too little.

Some good resources are the book "The Insiders Guide to Independent Film Distribution" and even scan through Mark Litwak's website - he has some good articles on there and has about 4 legal books that could be of high assistance.

That is just what I have learned so far and all of my experiences has been domestic in North America.

Network Sponsors

Back