How to budget a short film?

Maura N.

The Last Black Unicorn
Staff member
Hi Emily! When you are just starting, budgeting is hard because you have a small budget so you need to be realistic with your choices. It can be tempting to make complicated plans or to go over the budget with expensive equipment but you need to make the most of what you have. Fortunately, the recent leaps in technology allowed affordable alternatives for students and you can look them up. I have seen many students do impressive videos with the use of proper lightning, smartphone and a lot of imagination :D Good luck!

Olivia Perez

When you have little to no budget, try to find people who would work with you for the fun and for the experience! Use the small budget you have to rent equipment and allocate most in the direction you need...lights, camera, lens...they all cost a lot. Maybe you can find a company near your location with special discounts for students.

Miralem

it's hard to say, I think you should think about what you want from your film, then calculate your capabilities and budget,I agree that a good film can be shot on a smartphone, for example, iPhone 12 pro max.

Oskar Kuusk

Renting can be off limits for a student with low budget. But a friend with the latest smartphone is more easy to find. That, of course, if you do not have a very good smartphone yourself.

Robert Miller

You will probably not have enough budget to get the equipment you need but at least you can make it fun. Use the money for the gas to get to a cool location. Get a pizza to the ones who get involved in this. Have a lot of fun and learn a lot of things. :D