How I should Start off

O-Flicks

Hey I'm new to film making and wanted to know how i should start off. I was looking at what supplies I need, which is everything. So I want to ask you more exprinced guys for some help.

What camera should I buy?
I would like to find a camera that will make my films look as professional as possible so i would like to know what professionals use.

I Also need to know what editing equipment/programs i should buy?
i was looking at a pakage that Adobe was selling that looked pretty good. From my limited knowledge i believe that Adobe is the best, but I want some more professional opinions. What ever edit equipment i buy it has to coinside with what ever camera i buy.

I also need a new computer to use all the previous stuff on, What kind should i buy?
I was wondering if i should buy a Mac or PC, Laptop or Desktop. Which is the best for what i would be doing. Also this computer would just be for the film process, no games or extra unneeded programs of any kind, plus it also has to go along with which ever camera and editing programs i buy.

I'm a bit of a profectionist and want the best equipment out there so my films will look professional. Saddly :cry: im just a kid and my financial circumstances arn't the best, so i need to buy the stuff as cheap as possible. But im off to collage in a few years and would rather buy equipment that i will need there and in the real world.

Thanks for helping me out :D

*please ignor any spelling or gramer errors*

do you have a small fortune

do you have a small fortune

Do you have a small fortune? If you don't have money I would say go to work on another project that someone else is working on. Sign up as a volunteer or intern. Get some experience under your belt as an assistant and then start networking and branching out from there. Possibly go to workshops and if you can swing it go to a film school.

You mention that you want your stuff to look professional and that you are a perfectionistic. I'm a bit of a perfectionistic too and I consider it to be a good and probably necessary trait. Is it really necessary to be professional quality at this point , though? I'm 38 and have been shooting video for around 15 years or so. It's only within the last 6 years that I've been able to go digital and 5 years that I've gone non-linear. I have a Mac with Final Cut and only a single CCD camera but given the fact that I am married with children, am very happy to have what I have. I do keep trying to improve my work, however. A TV producer I've talked to critiqued my work and offered plenty of constructive criticism.
I guess my point is instead of fretting over what equipment to get, focus on what you do with it.

hardware over software.

invest most of your moolahs on great film/digital videocameras, lights, mics, etc. think about post-editing software later (that's why it has the prefix 'post' - because it comes later). and as any good film maker will tell you - never stop learning. if you keep that attitude, you will surely go far. you also might want to look into enrolling in a film school (have on in my sign below). think of it as an investment: not only will you get to learn the tricks of the trade from seasoned vets, you will also be able to establish a network of contacts so that you can go into the business much more easily. these mentors can be very friendly ^_^

Network Sponsors

Back