How do I sell my script to Hollywood?

Maura N.

The Last Black Unicorn
One of the most common questions when it comes to screenwriting is "How do I sell my script to Hollywood?". Truth be told, there is no easy answer to this question.

As a screenwriter, getting Hollywood to buy your script can be a difficult task. However, there are several strategies that can help increase your chances of success.

First and foremost, make sure your script is as polished as possible. Professional readers will be able to tell the difference between a sloppy script and one that has been thoroughly reviewed and edited. Additionally, create a logline, or a summary of your script, that succinctly explains the story in a single sentence. If your script will not captivate its readers from the first 10 pages, chances are that no one will read the rest of it.

Next, get feedback on your script from trusted professionals and peers. If you are a student, you can ask for feedback from your teachers. Addressing the criticisms and taking their advice can greatly strengthen your script and make it more attractive to Hollywood.

Finally, familiarize yourself with the various avenues available to screenwriters to get their scripts into the hands of industry professionals. Attend film festivals and pitch competitions, join online screenwriting networks and websites, and reach out to agents and producers who are looking for new projects.

By taking these steps, you can increase your odds of having a successful career as a screenwriter and selling the scripts you've worked so hard to create.

You need an agent. Unsolicited scripts are NOT READ, NOT OPENED, RETURNED TO SENDER. Thank the lawyers! Now to get an agent, you need to be published, with a byline. Print is preferable, but online for a bona fide, major website is often acceptable as well. So, if you want to be a professional writer -- it is time to start writing. Right here is a good place to start... become an author for Student Filmmakers Magazine and its sister publications! Even if you are not a technical expert or authority in your field -- you can interview people who are, and interview the manufacturers who make the gear.

Network Sponsors

Back