How do I create dust and spiderwebs?

sprickel

I am currently in pre-production on a project where I need to make it look like no one has been there for a while. So there would be dust on top of items and spider webs on the windows.

Can anyone suggest how I might be able to achieve that?

Buy some dirt or sand from a home improvement store. That may help. For the spiderwebs, try finding a store that sells halloween stuff and you may be able to find a package of fake spiderwebs that you can buy.

fullers earth for the dust and for the spiderwebs. research web shooter,alot of haunted house sites have them. but look for tutorials their pretty easy to build.

A little late but for future reference,

For dust fullers earth is great and is used throughout the industry, best applied with a dust spreader such as the Dustin Mizer.

Cobwebs can be purchased from a bag (not very good quality) or for preference can be made with a spinner or a shooter.

Spinners tend to produce a more natural web but as with real webs they are harder to see. They're also often flamable (unless non flamable liquid is bought). Spraying a little dust on them gives a very natural look.

Shooters produce a more visible (but less natural) web which is usually non flamable (but always make sure to check before using).

I personally prefer to use a spinner whenever time allows.

Both types are usually available at a reasonable price from ebay.

Right on Roy. Another trick might be to use a very small amount of fog (fog machine) build up some atmosphere in the room and that can also give the illusion that dust is floating about. It's all smoke and mirrors. I really like the dust covers idea.

Depending on the set and your story you might do a craigslist search for old run down furniture that you can stick in a corner, a bookshelf, cabinet, etc.

Network Sponsors

Back