Getting the rights to music??? HOW!?!?!

DBXMe2

I'm producing a 5 minute film for school, and I would like to include music which is copy writen? HOW do I buy the rights? and Who do I talk to for this?

the film has to be finished before April? and I need this info Quick??

HELP please!

and for some background info, I'm in Canada, I'd like to present this film in some festivals and its shot on 16mm...

if anyone knows of unsigned bands that would like to get some serious exposure in films?? please refer me a link or an email

the band type I'm looking for is something around "Incubus" "Bush" and anything techno type... if anyone knows??

And remember I'm a student... so I'm not rich, money is hard to come by...

Thanks for you help guys

Music Rights

Music Rights

For rights to a song you need to speak with the publisher. Who ever owns the publishing. Now for music being put to picture there is usually what is called a Sync Fee. Make sure to specify that you are using the music for Festival release only!. Otherwise the cost could be substantial.

Keep in mind they can deny you the rights flat out if they choose. Not fun if this happens!!

well what if u ARE selling the film, how much is it to 'buy' the music rights? i know it depends on the producer, but i wanted to know what a ballpark figure is for a band as big as Rage Against the Machine

i am a filmmaker interested in creating short movies for music i like. Some sort of music videos but with proper stories.

as music is my starting point i have done quite a bit of research on obtaining rights to use music. I found out that using music released under the creative commons is the best bet.

there are some places where to find good music to use in your projects without emptying your pockets:

www.beatpick.com (students use their music for free)
jamendo.com
opsound.com

Network Sponsors

Back