Getting a foot in the door

FilmGrad001

This is my first time posting here, as I just now stumbled onto this forum. I just graduated with a film degree and I'm starting the inevitable struggle in LA. My battle to find an entry level script analyst/coverage writer/office slave/PA/etc isn't turning up many results, but I'm hanging in there. I was just wondering if anyone here might have some tips on places to look or specific production companies to look into that have a history of hiring entry level grads - or any other suggestions on where to look or approaches to take. I'm obviously doing something wrong and networking hasn't paid off for me yet, so I thought I'd take a shot in the dark and see if I've been overlooking something major that might land me that initial interview. I appreciate any advice that can be offered. Thanks again.

FilmGrad001, Welcome

FilmGrad001, Welcome

Could I ask you where you graduated from?

Thanks,

kaos

Hi & welcome!

I would highly recommend joining the LA chapter of the IFP... I'll pm you a link to their page...
their membership fee might be a bit high... but it's a very great service... and excellent networking opp for independents.

Also... you might search around for other local indy groups... never know what you're going to find.

And... if you're really crazy... and you ever think of moving up to Washington State... my crew and I are always lookin for new people to bring into the fold... HAH!

Good luck & happy hunting!

I graduated from Full Sail in Orlando. I know the school might get somewhat of a bad reputation since the films produced there are generally...well, crap (There's good reason for that). On the positive side, you get to work with millions of dollars worth of equipment, all of which are industry standard. After going there, I could walk onto any film shoot and just point at things and identify them and how they're used. It may not make be a better filmmaker, but it will help me get some jobs in the future. As for learning theory there....you're pretty much on your own. I knew that beforehand and I made it an independent goal of mine to learn. Oh, and you shoot on 16mm and 35mm formats, and you edit on AVID Nitris/Symphony suites. That's always fun :p

FilmGrad001 said:
I graduated from Full Sail in Orlando.

I have heard numerous great things about that school. I was actually thinking about applying there next year. It is rumored that they have all of the new "top-of-the-line" equipment for use. Is that true, or does my souce not know what he is talking about?

Oh, they most definitely do. There are big upsides to the school as well as downsides too though. You very often see people on the net saying the school is a scam and a rip off, but I can assure you that those are the people who assumed they could just walk into the industry and start making millions their first year after graduation. I've heard stories of grads going on the set of feature films and approaching the director to critique his shots (You can imagine how fast he got fired). I'm definitely not one of those people, so if you want to hear the honest truth about what you can expect from a school like that, feel free to drop me a message on AIM as XeoMT or e-mail me at filmproduction@gmail.com . I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about the place.

Network Sponsors

Back