For: Directors who need help picking the right MUSIC

J

jnewman

Hello, this post is geared towards Directors who would like help putting the right, or best possible, music in their films. Music can really enhance a film, as you all probably know, so it's a very important aspect of the post-production process. For example, just think of The Full Monty and how perfect that Randy Newman song was in the end--I gaurantee that one song is why Anne Dudley won the Academy Award for Best Music that year, and she didn't even compose it. But she had a vision and knew how important that song would be, so she got it and was extremely successful. On the other hand, I can think of several films I've seen where the music was cheesy or not very creative, and for that reason, I could not take the film seriously. I guess my point is that for a director with a vision, I am sure that music is part of that vision. However, accomplishing what one envisions can be hard to execute if a director does not know a lot of musicians. That's where a Music Supervisor comes in.

A Music Supervisor acts as a mediator between Production Teams and Music Teams (composers, orchestrators, engineers, copyists, etc). A Mus Supervisor can participate in a spotting session w/ a director (when the director decides where he/she wants music and what kind or why) and then suggest ideas for source music that would be appropriate. Most importantly, a Mus Sup can research composers and try to find the perfect match, someone who will understand the Director and provide really great music.

I am currently a music student/pianist about to graduate from college and would absolutely love to do music supervision in film work. I would like to meet talented, young, passionate directors who have the drive to make it in the industry as much as I do. I have a strong background in music history (from antiquity to current) and repertoire and have studied film music extensively. In fact, I come from a big family of film composers so I know what it takes. I think the most frequent kind of success I hear about in the film/music industry is of partners or teams (think young Spielberg and John Williams) who start out with nothing but work together until they hit it big. That's what I'm hoping to do because I think music is so important in the movies.

Warmest Welcome

Warmest Welcome

Hey jnewman

welcome to the studentfilmakers forum, I'm not a director but I am a media music composer and u have definetely come to the right place for meeting new talent.
It was on this forum that i met the extremely talented (now my very good friend and working partner) Director Mark Cheng.
from this forum we met and started our working relationship on his film Deployment Strategy http://www.imustmakethisfilm.com
So good luck in meeting talented student directors cause there is a great deal of them on this forum.

p.s ur not from the famous Newman family are u??? (Alfred Newman, Randy Newman, Thomas Newman, David Newman) :D

Kindest Regards
Chris Haigh
Media Composer

Thank you:)!

Thank you:)!

Hey Chris,

Thank you so much for the reply and warm welcome! It's so refreshing to hear from another musician because in my experience, they are often times too jealous to let you in to any circle! Well, I'm really happy to hear that you have had good luck with this resource. Oh and congratulations on your collaboration on Deployment Strategy, I checked out the website and it looks really cool. I hope I have similar luck connecting with a director on here (hint hint directors)!

P.S. I realized after I posted that it'd probably be very easy to trace me to the Newman family, haha. Yes, Alfred Newman is my grandfather:).

Music talent

Music talent

Hi J,

I just signed onto this site and forum today, find it full of talent, which is a good thing to be surounded by. My thoughts were with Chris on guessing you may be in the line of well known musicians. I would think there would be great connections for you, but admire your need to penetrate the market on your own.

I am currently in pre-production of a film being made this summer in Toledo Ohio, "Glass City". I am the editor on the film and hope that the Mus Sup will be as dedicated as I am. I don't know what the pay rate is or what goes into the music end of a film, but know it is the backbone of the emotion, along with the lighting, acting, directing, and cinematography.

Where are you located? I haven't found my way around this forum to look it up.

Good luck to you,

Hi Trig,

Thanks so much for the post. I would definitely like to find out more about "Glass City" although I am actually located in Los Angeles. Can you please let me know a little bit more about the film? Is the entire production going to happen in Toledo? Thanks again!

Thanks J for the kind words about the film and being born into an amzingly talented family (hehehe)

good luck finding work altho, with the connections ur family have i'm sure u'll not have a problem finding work, but same again good on u for going out on ur own.

I'd love to hear some of ur work if u have any on the internet.

Take care
Chris Haigh
Media composer
http://www.myspace.com/chris266
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvIP9eLoT0w

Network Sponsors

Back