Finding a Mentor

F

Filmosity

Mr. Mullen,

Well, it seems I'm the only one posting here, so I'll make the most of it while I can.

I'm an aspiring cinematographer, but I need more education. I've been working as a freelance grip and gaffer/electric in the NYC area for a little over a year now, but I'm finding it difficult to find the right people and make the right contacts. I haven't found steady work, but I'm determined that I will make a living doing this. I just cannot, no matter how much my family tries to make me see the light, imagine myself doing anything else.

Right now, film school is out of the question. Though I'd like to at least take an intensive course in cinematography and in directing, I simply cannot afford it. I'm having enough trouble just making ends meet.

Anyway, I've read and been told that finding a mentor to take you under their wing and show you the ropes is a good way to get educated, get experience, and get a foot in the door. However, with so many people out there doing the same thing I am, how do I find an established, experienced cinematographer who would be willing to help me? It's such a delicate situation, not wanting to step on anyone's toes and alienate anyone, especially so early in my career.

I'm hard working, dedicated, and passionate about this business. I want to be successful (relatively speaking) in this career, but I'm finding it difficult to make the right moves.

Can you give me any advice?

Thank you for your help.

Chris

p.s.- Happy new year!

It seems lately I've been getting a lot of requests from people wanting to intern with me. I never interned myself and the lower-budgeted films I shoot tend to be too quick, too intensive to support an intern other than as a camera loader (who spends all their time in a darkroom so I'm not sure what they are getting out of it...)

Also, on low-budget films, producers don't like "extra" people hanging around because they only allocated five potato chips per person per day, etc. And the locations tend to be small so they discourage visitors. And I hardly have any time to talk to anyone on the set so at best, all an intern could do is watch (assuming they aren't in the darkroom.)

But there are a lot of bigger DP's working on bigger productions who might have the time for an intern. I would just keep contacting DP's until you find someone involved in the right type of production.

However, I'd be more than willing to answer any questions you have about filmmaking, which is a form of mentoring.

I may have an intern on my next small production but someone has already asked for that position.

Network Sponsors

Back