Filming music videos [filming slowly for effect]

sbinc

I'm preparing to film a music video for a local artist.

and was looking into different styles and came across a technique where they would play the song and record in a slower/faster tempo and then re-sync the song during post production..

i haven't had the chance to experiment with this particular technique
but i was curious what effect this is supposed to achieve.

and how i can effectively use it.

SBinC.

There are several ways to do this technique. The most common method when shooting film is to shoot at a slower film rate than transfer the film to video at the exact same film rate that it was shot at.

The result is an in sync but staccatto image, sometimes with a bit more blur but since the image stays on the screen longer when can study the frame more, which creates an entirely different feel than when shooting at normal speed.

Altering the playback speed of the song can create an unexpected result, the key is to know the EXACT amount of speed up or slow down of the audio so you can do the exact same speed adjustment in edit to the visuals.

if you double the speed of the song and keep the frame rate the same as you have for any takes of the song at normal pace when you go to edit and bring the song back to the corect tempo you should get a good slow motion effect

Re: Filming music videos [filming slowly for effect]

sbinc said:
I'm preparing to film a music video for a local artist.

and was looking into different styles and came across a technique where they would play the song and record in a slower/faster tempo and then re-sync the song during post production..

SBinC.

I've seen this too... you could try a strobe kind of effect too..( if you want to do the effect after the shoot) to take frames out ...

??

Network Sponsors

Back