filming a lecture/performance

chemE

I have a Canon GL2. I have been asked to film a performance and a lecture series. I already have a tripod, but I was wondering what extra equipment I may need in order to do a more professional job.

Any help would be appreciated.
Meghali

people will forgive bad picture quality- but they won't forgive bad sound. You need to mic the guy.

If he's wearing a lav for an in house PA - see if it has XLR or line 1/4" phono or stereo out. Go to radio shack - bring your camera - and have the clerk help you to pick out the correct adapters for you to put that clean sound into your camera.

It's better if you were to invest in your own microphones and a good beachtek audio adapter for your GL2 and just mic the guy with your stuff and not piggy back off of a PA.

If the above seems too difficult - just make sure to use a tripod, good framing, and your on-camera mic. Use good framing and it will be what it will be.

I agree with Kurt. Sound is very important. Hooking up your camera to the sound sysem where the microphones are that the speakers are using will provide you with a crisp audio track that also has the right levels, which will allow you to pick up everything that is being said, even if the speaker is talking in a low voice. If this is a paid job, it may also help to bring along an additional cameraman for b-roll shots if you plan on editing the piece as well (even if it's only adding graphics). This will give you something else to choose from if you want to add different angles or keep a certain lecture more interesting for the end viewer of the video.

Network Sponsors

Back