FILM LIKE video footage from Panasonic HVX200 (P2)

I know you've heard this before. Film like images achieved on low end HD cameras. But here is the proof.

I shot a short as a test for a feature film called "WINTER". The camera captures some amazing snow. The blacks are nice and clean. I had to under expose a bit so the highlight doesn't blow out. You can also see the the highlight blow out when it got sunny. So I always made sure that the sun backlit the objects so it's not that harsh.

>>>> WATCH TEST (short film) <<<<

I just finished the feature film finally with this camera (all snow). I'm very happy with the way it captures the light in dark situations. Here is a frame sample. You can see on the frame grabs, I exposed for the hard light hitting the snow to achieve film-noir images. I works well. If I exposed for the shadow, the image would have looked like a home video. Enjoy....

>>>> VIEW FRAME GRABS on pdf (feature film) <<<<

lighting and camera movement has always been (to me) the key to making video look like film. That snow is quite beautiful. And the scene beneath. . . but for the strange artifacts on the TV screen, it's splendidly moody.

What did you use?

What did you use?

Can you name everything you used for the making of "Unfortunately Malory?" Any filters? Post programs? etc. I think you did an amazing job with it, on top of your other movie with the old ladies. It was a breath of fresh air! Keep up the good work.

Not a fan of the XL2?

-Neil

:D

What compression did you use? artifacts were minimal; im more interested in the quality for what appears to be a small video file.

I'm a fan of DOF in creating film-like imagery; nice use of the focus pull when he lost his glasses!

Tips and Tricks.

Tips and Tricks.

Hey fellas. Thanks for the compliments.

I used the camera HVX200 and shot it 1080i, 24P Advance. I set the detail down -2, I used F6 on the programed look the camera has.

Also I didn't use any Lens Mount and other lenses because I felt that it would degrade the quality so much. So I made sure that the Aperture on the camera was around F2.8 to keep the depth of field low.

Since the shoot is all exterior, I used the Daylight Preset color balance. The picture looks bluish-gray because the of the winter weather. Winter will give you that look without adding blue in camera.

With the SHORT, I wanted that early morning look, so I shot all the wide shots when there wasn't any sunlight.

Then when it got sunny, I shot only close-ups and made sure that the sun was directly behind the talent.

I edited with the Final Cut Pro. I haven't use the XL2 and I don't know how that would compare to HVX200.

With the FEATURE, I wanted a film noir look so the harsh sunlight works. So I placed my subjects in the shade and exposed for the SUNLIGHT with a slightly higher KEY.

When the camera came our last year I shot a feature with it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw4zT3Q-Wbg

Excuse me for the bad trailer.....

hey man congrats. it looks good and the fact that its shot with a digital camera, you've certainly accomplished a lot. once again, congratulations!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia everything!!

Network Sponsors

Back