FCP 4.5HD - "strobing" issue from film capture

J

Jake'sThings

I used FCP 4.0 with no problems, capturing from Super-8 film footage. Everything worked out beautifully, even with my limited FCP skills. Burning to DVD worked out perfectly.

Then I did the free upgrade to FCP 4.5 HD and things haven't been the same. I'm pretty sure the system settings are the same as for my previous film but my current output to DVD has been a nightmare. On the computer monitor everything looks normal but when I burn a DVD of a rough cut of my new (also Super-8 film) footage and view (on a standard TV) whenever there is a motion in the film (an actor walking quickly by the camera, for instance) there it this ugly "strobing" effect. This NEVER happened with 4.0. Any ideas what to do?

I'm tempted to see if there is a hack that would allow me to save my project file as FCP 4.0 and just re-install that version.

You're stuck with 4.5, and there is no known bug for this in 4.5.

I notice you say you "think" your settings are the same. I bet they aren't. Things like that can get changed when upgrading. Recheck your settings. Sounds like a progressive vs. interlace problem, or bad encoding settings when creating the MPEG-2 for DVD.

Try selecting the clip in the sequence and look in the clips viewer window. Select the filter option at the top of the window. I suspect the shift fields will be active, try unhighlighting it... it may ask you to render the clip again. Do so and burn another dvd.

Hope it works!

http://www.grafxflow.co.uk/forum/

Network Sponsors

Back