faking bullriding & barrel racing

Z

zwoon

We plan to shoot a film that includes some rodeo action with the two main female characters doing barrel racing and bull riding.

Some questions about using animals in our film:
1) Our idea is to solicit permission from local rodeo to shoot during the regular rodeo time with two or three of the real participants taking part as usual, only dressed like our characters. Then later we would shoot closeups of our actors to match what we were able to grab during the rodeo.

--Does anyone have better ideas/ways for how to get such footage?
--Do we need releases from everyone at the rodeo event who might possibly get caught on camera?

2) Since we'll be using several "non-actor" horses in general for scenes around the farm, etc. what kind of preparation will they need? Will cameras and flags freak them out for instance? Any tips appreciated!

I woud think that if this was a professional event, you'd want to let the powers that be know of your intentions. Your costumes might be non-regulation...or,put in a better way, something that might result in disqualification or (worse yet) injury. There might be some fees that you might have to pay but better that than having the camera confiscated :shock:

as for using non-acting animals, what I would do is to talk with the handlers in depth about what you are wanting to do. They would know better than any one of us about a particular animal and what would cause issues. I would be prepared to perhaps acclimate the animal to the equipment before actual shooting if possible.

you could put a mechanical bull in front of a blue screen and animate a head for the bull and a background

Network Sponsors

Back