FAKE GLASS AND SQUIBS

MARVYO

I am a Nigerian Film stutdent I am working on my Frist student film. Is an ACTION pack. How do i build fake glass and sguibs. Thanks

Well... first let me say congratulations.
Making your first film an action film is rather difficult, and I applaud your enthusiasm.

As for fake glass... while I don't know how to build it...
I do know that hollywood and many other productions use "sugar glass" for their windows (the ones that will be destroyed at least).
All I know about it is that it's supposed to be rather cheap... and that it's very easy to break... and that it's supposed to be safe to smash... as in, it isn't supposed to cut you.

So, that's what I know about fake glass... courtesy of a commercial producer friend.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Oh, and if you want any advice... all I could tell you is rehearse & coverage.

Good Luck!

breakaway glass and squibs

breakaway glass and squibs

Sometimes, to prevent the window or whatever from melting under the lights, they use a special plastic resin that will shatter realistically and hold liquid if needed....No sharp objects and even better, sweep it all up and have em melt it back down and set it in another mold.

If you've read the other post in this forum concerning guns...you'll know what a squib is....basically its an explosive charge...you'd back it with something that can stand up to the explosion and set it off....

Kim, if we simply copied and pasted from the website wouldn't we be in the wrong then for stealing their information (at least by common standards) and plus we wouldn't be able to view the example video or pics either. After all, the page was really an article with a couple of book suggestions at the bottom from THEIR sponsors, nothing different than what most sites do including us. I dont mean to contest you or anything, just throwing that out there because I found the link pretty helpful.

LINKS

LINKS

not when it is posted to sell something to our members. if it is really solid I don't mind a link but not just something posted to sell stuff.

Not my site!!!!!

Not my site!!!!!

Hey, that link was NOT my site! It was a site I found on a message board as I was looking for Squibs! I do not know the owner of the site let alone profit in any way from linking it. I simply wished to help a fellow film maker with a promblem I also had! i do not beleive that posting that link was grounds for my User Name to be deactivated!

ok as far as squibs go. this is what we used for our last film and it turned out AWESOME!!!!

1. go to any home and garden center and buy one of those pumps used to spray pesticide stuff....(they run around $30)...you just need the one gallon.
2. also buy about 6ft of clear hose that is about 3/4 opening.
3. buy a little screw clamp that will tightly clamp this on to the end of the pumps hose.
4. keep the jug of the pump empty and pump it about 150 times.
5. now that you have the 6ft hose clamped onto the end of the nozzle that actually sprays, pour the gore into the 6ft long tube.
6. after you have done this, you can run the tube up the actors shirt and tape it down to their body. just be careful not to spill the gore
7. when, you are ready for impact, just hold the nozzle trigger down and the gore will make the coolest explosion you could ever imagine happening with $40. :)

we did this to "blow someones brains out" and it turned out amazing. of course we had to spend a whole day testing it out, but who doesnt like testing out gore stuff?? :wink:

Fake Glass

Fake Glass

I copied this from a long forgotten website, hope they dont mind me sharing?

CANDY GLASS

You need 1/2 cup of water, 1 3/4 cup of white sugar,1 tbsp. light corn syrup, and of coarse a grease like crisco or pam. Boil the water and then stir the syrup and sugar. SPRINKLE A LITTLE SALT INTO THE MIXTURE, then let boil for seven to eight min. Put the mixture on a cookie sheet. Let cool for about an hour. Without the salt, the glass looks a little shiny on camera.

2 cups water
1 cup white corn syrup
3 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Mix ingredients then let it come to a boil. It will boil at 220 degrees. Let it go to 300 degrees and pour.

7parts sugar, 3 parts corn syrup, 2 parts water. Heated to 225deg F according to the directions, although, I used white sugar and my candy started to carmelize at 180deg on my candy thermometer. I cooked it fairly fast, which someone said might be the problem with the color.
Also, the original recipe says use brown sugar for brown glass. If you are going to use brown sugar you'll want to measure ingredients on a scale, brown sugar is not as dense as white sugar.
Cook it, pour it out into a pan coated with non-stick spray, about 5-8mm thick.
It looks fairly clear, like stained glass though... you can't see through it. This is especially good for shattering. (It does this really well!)

Make sure you don't try to speed up the drying process, or the glass will explode.

Have a cold glass of water beside your pot. After about 5min of cooking put a drop of the heated sugar solution in the water. If it makes a sound like glass breaking then its the right temperature, if it doesn't its not.

If you would like to make a large sheet of candy glass, like, for instance, to make a window, pour the glass onto a large flat smooth surface, such as glass, plexiglass or formica, a bit larger than the size of window you are making.

"All I know about it is that it's supposed to be rather cheap"

Just an FYI - breakaway glass is not cheap - after purchasing 5 panes of 3'x2' panes of glass for a commercial.. at a cost of $1,000. From the primary makers of breakaway glass in the U.S.

I'm working on a horror/scifi project that involves a poltergeist. One of the effects we're looking into is having a pair of perfume bottles shatter, and I'm looking for suggestions on acheiving this. We're pretty low-budget, so I need cheap and easy. I'm up for mechanical (i.e. magnets and nails/ball bearings) or chemical reactions. I'd prefer not to make my own glass, but we might be able to buy the bottles online, or get them in a thrift store.
TIA for any help.

purfume bottle break

purfume bottle break

myswtghst I have don't a trick like this befor. If you can get a bottle that is not smooth that help.

1.Break the bottle.
2. Drill a hole in the base but be carfule you dont want to break the base.
3.then put the peices back together if you do it right the bootle will look like it has not been broken. If you have a problem with one ore two peices falling out use a drop of super gule.
4. Spray a layer of Krylon clear coat spray over the bottle, not two much. This will seal the cracks so it can hold liquid.
5.insert a tube into the hole in the base.
6. Now shoot air threw the tube. The presure will blow the bottle apart.

Network Sponsors

Back