enhancing the voice

V

vervor

I was wondering if there are any quick tips as to how to enhance dialogue in post - I know big films get expensive mixes, but are there hints or tips I can apply in soundtrack or FCP to "professionalize" already well-recorded sound? We recorded with an ME66 and it sounds great, but you can certainly tell it's not "movie" sound if that makes any sense. What do they do to get that great tone? I'll post this in the FCP forum as well...

thanks in advance

The best thing you can do to enhance the voice is in production... it's nice to add a bit of warmth to voices using a good mixer, or even remove it.

You might try the same thing in post with EQ tools.

Mixing sound

Mixing sound

When you don't have alot of tools say your mixing audio in FCP. Try a low shelf filter on Dialouge around 70Hz to take any low freq ou that you don't need. Then bump up using a parametric EQ at around 2Khz. How much will depend on your ambience track, sound effects etc. Another trick to punch the track is Compress the entire mix to get the gain structure a bit more even. A little goes a long way. And remember your dialouge is usually most important.

Bryant Falk
Abacus Audio

Right I'm exclusively talking about dialogue here - it sounds good, but just not as "bassy" and rich as I see on big films - I was hoping there was a nice way to pump it up to that. The recording is clean and smooth with an ME66 as I said, so I'm hoping I can easily work with that - these are gals too, so it's not like I'm trying to make a male voice even more dramatic, I'm simply trying to maxamize the dialogue I've got. Thanks for the advice so far though - I'm going to go in and mess with some low freq in the parametric EQ to see if it helps....I'm so nervous to mess around though even if just experimenting bc I don't want to waste time - hah! so it goes in the crazy quirks and habits of an obsessive and passionate editor! :D

Unfortunately, the reason your track doesn't have the low end that pro tracks have is primarily because the ME66 didn't record any. This mic is anything but a voice over mic. You get better reults using a standard cardioid mic if possible, even if it's a dynamic. A $90.00 Shure SM-58 will sound better.

For this track however, see if any of your software can add low frequency harmonics. EQing and compressing the track might also help.

Really? I had heard only great things about ME66....that's too bad. I do notice how "treble-y" it is though. It'll get every lipsmack but truck rumbles don't seem to register... I'm looking into buying a good mic for dialogue - you would not recommend the ME66? I'm looking to spend 300 or less? Is the 90 dollar mic still a good option here? I kow...a lot of questions, but that's what happens if you seem knowledgable around me! haha thanks in advance!

The ME66 is an entry level shotgun mic designed to pick up voices at a distance outdoors.

$300.00 will buy you an AKG C3000B which is a really great voice over mic. It even comes with a free shock mount. There are other options, both higher & lower in price, but this is a very good one.

Feel free to contact me privately.

Keep in mind that even a great mic will sound bad in a bad room.

Thank much - I'll take a look at that mic.

Yes, as with anything else in filmmaking, I'm learning the little tricks to improve sound design (sound blankets to kill bounce, where to aim the mic exactly). I may be in touch with you if more questions come - thanks so much.

Well in taking a look at this mic, it seems like more people are using it for music than film - - is this to be expected? What, in your experience, leads you to recommend it? I see good and bad reviews of it - but they are mostly in the context of live music quality, etc...which doesn't pertain to the context of film really. Will this pick up from across the room? Is it directional enough to get all elements of dialogue in most traditional scenes? Thanks - again sorry for all the questions hah

Nothing is better than the original audio being recorded properly. I've heard people talk about 'fixing it in the mix', or 'loop it later'. Often times this just isn't possible. If you have low levels, you can fix it with compression, but this will bring-up your noise floor as well.

Sounds like you've learned that you cannot skimp on audio.

you could try something like the bbe sonic maximizer which available in software and does a good job of anhancing audio. it`s very simple to use and gives a good result. there are a few more of these enhancers out there, but i think that this one is the best. i`ve used it in my own projects (poker empire, mainframe) and loved it.

hope this helps.
flextone

Network Sponsors

Back