end

yet another film project treating the composer and music as an afterthought,offering only a credit and a percentage of nothing.

A simple 5 minute short for experience/portfolio is one thing but a film score without a token financial gesture is insulting even for a first gig.

I would never insult any producer or director here or anywhere by asking them to spend days/weeks shooting and editing a feature to one of my scores for nothing.

I mean this as advice to budding composers,
In the ten years I am composing for TV/Film not one freebie ever led to any back end percentage or future work.

The Good

The Good

The Evil

I understand and I believe your experience has shown you what you believe to be true. However, there is some value in getting a chance to work on a real film that people will be showing and hopefully might get some kind of recognition including film festival play.

It is very rewarding playing music and composing and it is great to have works to refer people to. So, I don’t think it is such a criminal offense to seek talented people looking for exposure and experience. I think that having the experience will build confidence.

Also, I have seen many advertisements for all positions for making a films with no pay. The best say they will be submitted to film festivals and you get to have a copy for working on it. And, they included food and expenses but NO PAY. So, I say that if the shoe fits wear it. If you feel you can benefit from helping someone for free or you feel like it is in someway good then go for it.

Hi Kim,
This is not just my experience,any musicians/composers Ive worked with and spoken to will say the same thing.
Re 'recognition',theres a fine line between gaining experience and being exploited,just be careful thats all.

I agree its rewarding,which is why I mentioned working on small projects instead like shorts/Indy game pitches etc for experience / portfolio.
Sometimes saying no is a great way to build confidence too.

re 'advertisements for unpaid work and helping each other out',
Once again I agree but with small projects that at least include expenses and/or a token financial gesture.

Dean.

Network Sponsors

Back