Editors

katiemcc

I was wondering what the difference was between editors, sound editors and dialogue editors. What different role do they play in the editing process?

There are huge differences. Each of these has it's own facet in the post-production process. It would be a long answer and I am not qualified to explain all the differences but I think in this world of people doing multiple tasks you could be responsible for all the editing including foley on a small project.

so the difference is

so the difference is

I was wondering what the difference was between editors, sound editors and dialogue editors. What different role do they play in the editing process?

depending on how large of a film you are working on.
On many projects they are the same.
On features you will have a picture editor( who works with an assistant or 2 ) to shape the film though cutting the picture.After the picture is locked
many things then happen
the sound department , sound editors music editors and dialouge editors along with foley artists make the track richer.
Meanwhile the picture gets titles and effects added as well as grading of the color on the film.
sometimes these are worked on before picture is locked

hope that helps
bart

For my first feature I was the editor and then a friend of mine at Universal put together a sound team for all the post sound. From what I understood he had a couple guys going through all the dialog and cleaning up the edits between each cut, making sure there was no yelling from off camera from crew, stuff like that which is missed sometimes in the edit, placing in ADR and identifying sections that needed it -- That was the dialog editing from what I could tell.
They also placed in all the background sounds like wind, birds, ambient nature sounds, insects, etc. (it was a western) as well as any foley work such as bottles clinking or chairs moving, drinks being poured, punches and kicks, gun shots, etc. -- I believe this was more of the Sound Editing.

We then also had Sound mixers who took all of the work the Sound/Dialog editors did and mixed the levels and speaker placement (stereo or 5.1).

But as Kim was saying, on a small project you will likely have an editor doing all of these theirself. Just make sure you are familiar with what an M&E track is, that is important for if you are trying to get distribution.

Network Sponsors

Back