Editing Software

T

timindecisive

What editing software would you recomend me getting?

Well,
this is a loaded question.

The obvious suggestions from me, depending on operating system... would be some type of Avid or Final Cut Pro system.

However,
you need to provide us with more information.

For instance...

What will you be editing?
How much money have you budgeted for this?
What type of computer are you using? (Mac or Windows)

All of that, and more information, will help us to guide you in your decision.

Hope we hear back from you on this soon.

I would be on a somewhat tight budget, but wouldn't spending a couple hundred dollars.
I will be using Windows.
I will be editing a full length independent film. Which does require lighting effects, title effect, sound effect, and the whole nine yards.

Ok Tim,
Here's the deal.

There is no editing software for under 100 dollars that is going to give you what you need.

Premeire is something you might look into... but at the price of premeire, you should just get something else instead.

Seriously consider the Avid line of products.

Avid Express DV is the lowest end software they sell, it's packed with effects and professional options...
however, it is rather limited.

If you're interested in looking for more expensive software than Express DV... look into the next step up, the Avid Express and Avid Express Pro software.

Basically, here's the deal.
There isn't a program out there that is going to give you what you need for under 600 dollars.

Avid Express DV sells for $695.00
Avid Express Pro sells at $1,695.00

The mojo addition to Express Pro, which you would need if you intend to do really heavy effects, will run you another $1695.00

So I suppose it's really going to be up to you to find what you need.

Effects are not cheap though... and you may find that even the Express Pro with Mojo might not provide what you were hoping for.
There is a complete Express Pro Studio that runs around $6995.00 and it'll give you a lot more options... however, it's still not going to give you the truely film-like effects.

Hopefully this helps a bit...
if you want to know some more about Avid systems, I've got some expreience and done lots of research in that area...

If you think this didn't help very much... please give me some more specifics...
I see that you wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred dollars... and that you're on a windows platform... however, the more you tell me (speciffically) what types of effects you intend to do, the better I can answer your question.

For instance... if you just want to do basic color correction... it's a standard option on any professional software... however, if you want to do something more advanced... you may not even find it in the Express Studio package... and from there, the editing systems sky-rocket in price.

Hope this helped... but if it didn't... give me more info & I'll help out all I can, and I'm sure everyone else on the boards will help too.

Happy Editing!

Depends on what you want to do really. if you want to be able to rent space and edit or be able to get a job editing, its best you get either Avid, Final Cut Pro, or Adobe Premiere, as if thats not whats used, theyre all almost identical to each other. Myself? Ive used all but avid, and I perfer Vegas 5.0. Right now its not very well known, but its just... I like it. It runs well on my laptop, it makes some effects very easy to achive, and best of all, no render time!

Another belated response...and an alternate opinion.

For my money, Avid just doesn't have much of a grip on delivering value on the low end of the product line. They have had several mediocre attempts at it, but they have to strip so much out of it to preserve the value of their higher end systems that they end up shooting themselves in the foot.

For a hundred (or a couple of hundred), you're just not going to acquire a piece of software with the capabilities you've described. Premiere Elements is cheap and you can cut DV footage with it, but many of the higher end capabilities you've noted are simply not there.

FCP, Premiere Pro, Vegas...they're all in the 700.00 USD neighborhood.

Pinnacle was just bought by Avid, which I suspect will mean Liquid will evaporate...

There's Ulead (who also just got bought out, but I suspect their software products are much safer as a result of that transition...as opposed to Pinnacle)...you might save a few bucks, but there are tradeoffs there as well.

Network Sponsors

Back