Editing HDV in both HD and SD with FCP

E

element80

I'm editing a wedding video for a friend of mine, and he wants both an HD and an SD copy. The footage was shot HDV. Do I need to use the camera to capture/downconvert the footage, or can I do that with a deck (the deck I'll be using is a Sony DSR-11)?

Also, I've heard the best way to approach editing HD on a computer that might be a little slow is to edit in SD, and then re-import the neccessary video files in HD once you've locked picture. How do I go about doing this in FCP?

Info
Camera: Sony HDR-FX1
Deck: Sony DSR-11
Software: Final Cut Pro 5 (I think)

Actually, the camera may ahve been a Z1U...not sure, but it was definately one of those 2 cameras.

The DSR-11 is DV-only, isn't it?

Sure, but unless I'm much mistaken it's not HDV-compatible...

Down-convert

Down-convert

Your best bet would be to use a camera and down-convert. I use a Z1U and the down-convert works just fine--I am not sure about the FX1's down-convert capabilities. Also, I use an M25U deck in my edit system and it has the same down-convert capabilities as the Z1U so you could rent one of those and it would do the job for you as well. Good luck. JimT

Compressor does a fantastic job of downconverting to SD, better than most cameras. It's what my studio uses every day.

Also, for slower computers, you'd use (and for any computer, really) an HDV Intermediate codec. FCP uses the Apple Intermeidate Codec (AIC). It transforms the Long GOP format of HDV (what makes it suck to edit with), and conforms it to an all I-Frame format. Slightly larger files sizes, but faster, easier editing.

Network Sponsors

Back