Does this sound interesting or worthwhile?

Yeah and it had a million dollar or more sound design behind it as well

I appologize for mistakenly listing 21 Grams as DV... My facts were wrong... and I stand corrected.

As it stands though... DV may have a smaller outlet, but I'll restate the point I was making to include all video... that means DV, HD and all other video mediums.

DV Film & TV:
- 28 Days Later
- Two Brothers
- Open Water
- Super Size Me
- Tadpole
- Pieces of April
- Dancer in the Dark

HD Film & TV:
- The Young & The Restless (2001 to present)
- How High
- Jackass
- Star Wars Episodes II & III
- Collateral
- Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow
- Farenheit 9/11
- Star Treak Enterprise
- Blue Collar Comedy Tour: The Movie
- Ghosts of the Abyss
- Benji: Off The Leash
- Pasadena

Non-specified & Misc. Video Film & TV:
- Surreal Life
- Blair Witch (High 8 Video)
- Red Dwarf
- The Cosby Show
- One Life to Live
- Oliver Beene

My point being that it isn't necessarily the format that's going to limit you... it's the content that's going to make or break a release.

Content is a must for sure! You can have all the diamonds in the world, but it won't make crap look any better than "artistic fecies". A great film depends upon a great story and solid concepts. The rest of the stuff just multiplies the effect of it (0 times anything still equals 0).

You are right. Good story, good characters, good acting and good direction are the most important aspects of any movie. But please don't forget, movies are a VISUAL medium. Much of a films power comes from the visuals. The lighting, art direction and camera angles/movements can carry a great deal of story telling weight. Everything works together. Audiences expect quality visuals (and of course good sound).

It's true, you can't polish a turd and make it anything more than a turd, BUT a good film can be made GREAT by quality, well thought out visuals. That means using the tools and format (and DP) that best fit your story and exhibition plans. If your plans are just DVD and maybe TV distribution then DV can work and even look good sometimes. But unless you've made the next "Citizen Kane", don't expect a DV movie to make it to the theatre, it rarely happens.

The bottom line is this, (and I've been told this by distributors with whom we work) all things being equal, a good movie shot on film or HD is going to win out for distribution every time over anything shot on DV.

-Brad Hoover

Network Sponsors

Back