does an editor have any involvement in pre-prod?

LARAB

Hi guys,

I am currently applying for funding for a short film (I'm the editor), but wanted to be as prepared as possible. Is there any way that I can prepare in pre production for post? As experienced editors does one read a script in a particular way/have discussions with their director during pre-prod?

Kind regards

Absolutely, you should be there for the first script reading and working with the director from the beginning. I even think you can set up your workflow so that you start the basic cutting and editing during the shooting. Why not? in some cases it won't work but I was thinking maybe there is a way to save time and money by arranging the shooting so that you can start editing while production is going on. This will speed up the process and save money?

Agreed. An editor who has no involvement in pre-production is almost akin to flying blind in the beginning. I may not have been an editor for too terribly long, but I have felt that too much time is wasted in trying to pull pieces together as to what the final product should look like and what pacing and mood the director is aiming for if the luxury of knowing the pre-production process isn't granted. ESPECIALLY films. Reading a script doesn't come with creative inflection (much like text messages don't come with voice inflection) and what you ultimately see in your mind may completely differ from what the director sees in his/hers. Editors are just as much a part of the production crew as anyone else, the more involved and informed they are about the pre-production and production process, the quicker and less problematic (hopefully) the end product comes together.

Network Sponsors

Back