Do you think making movies is a tough business?

Making a movie aint that difficult but to make it with care is.and to amke an usual one....or should i say an attempt to make an unusual one is....such a pain.

But, it is very satisfying and rewarding work, right?

I think making movies is one of the toughest businesses out there...but also one of the most satisfying.

You really have to love it to do it.

I was comparing it to mountain climbing.

I was comparing it to mountain climbing.

I was comparing it to mountain climbing. Not every one wants to or is capable of climbing mountains and not everyone that does it succeeds at a high level. But, there are some people that will never give up climbing mountains or trying. some of these people will not stop even after they are past retirement age and have lost ears and fingers from frost bite. These people love what they do and you can’t stop them. This is what I was thinking the character of great film makers is like. No matter what the challenge is and no matter how impossible people may think the task is the filmmakers will tackle the insurmountable and do the impossible to get the film made.

Do you think I nailed it or did I go over the edge again? Where is Roy? This seems like his kind of talk.

Of course it's a tough business. Half the world think you're looney-tunes and the other half want something from you. It's expensive, time consuming, full of divergent technologies and failure-prone. For an industry outsider, it's an almost impossible dream, but what's the alternative? Oh yeah - NOT MAKING FILMS! For me, that would be even tougher.

Anyone who thinks that making a film is not difficult has either never made one or never made one well. Hell, even making a bad film is difficult, maybe even more so. I would know, I've made a few stinkers!.

I've heard, and I agree, that making a feature film is the logistical equivalent of waging a war. Getting all of the varied pieces of the puzzle to come together at the right place, on time (and on budget) is a formidable task. Only the most dedicated, those who could never imagine doing anything else could have the nerve, skill and endurance to pull it off!

Rogue Crew said:
For an industry outsider, it's an almost impossible dream, but what's the alternative? Oh yeah - NOT MAKING FILMS! For me, that would be even tougher.

i'd have to say i totally disagree with this statement. I'm an industry outsider from indiana! Its definately a hard field to get into..but it just depends on how much hard work and dedication you put into it. Sure, not everyone is gonna get rich making films, but i say if you love it and have drive and passion for it, nothing should hold you back.

ruthie said:
i'd have to say i totally disagree with this statement.
It doesn't sound like you disagree with me at all! Read my statement again. However, if you really think that "hard work and dedication" is enough, you may be in for a shock.

Rogue Crew said:
ruthie said:
i'd have to say i totally disagree with this statement.
It doesn't sound like you disagree with me at all! Read my statement again. However, if you really think that "hard work and dedication" is enough, you may be in for a shock.

sorry if i misunderstood, i just didnt like the fact that you said it was a nearly impossible dream for those that arent closely related to the industry. i just think that sounds pessimistic and discouraging. and i know that its not just hard work and dedication....clearly. but those are two main ingredients to success for sure. i moved to nyc from indiana over two years ago, with no film school experience, no previous production experience besides one lousy documentary film that i shot and edited by myself... and because of my "hard work and dedication" ive managed to work my way into the industry, meet alot of great people, make great contacts, get loads of freelance work and will hopefully be making video editing my full time career within the next couple months. :)

If you have any talent at all, you've come to the right place. Greater NY is the place you're most likely to get your shot.

Drop me an email and maybe we could work together sometime.

I think now is the time to make movies.

I think now is the time to make movies.

I think now is one of the best times to get into the making movies business. I think it is easier than ever to make a movie. We have technology that is cheaper and more effective to use today than ever in history. You can buy equipment today that will cost you a couple of thousand that will do what would have cost you $80,000 only a few years ago.

I know it is not film and that the film guys are winning the debate about quality but it is moving pictures and a symbolic representation of living life that is certainly damn well good enough to tell a story with. So tell your story.

In regards to the hard work. I have heard that studies show making love compared to physically running a marathon.

Re: I think now is the time to make movies.

Re: I think now is the time to make movies.

KimWelch said:
I think now is one of the best times to get into the making movies business. I think it is easier than ever to make a movie. We have technology that is cheaper and more effective to use today than ever in history. You can buy equipment today that will cost you a couple of thousand that will do what would have cost you $80,000 only a few years ago.

I know it is not film and that the film guys are winning the debate about quality but it is moving pictures and a symbolic representation of living life that is certainly damn well good enough to tell a story with. So tell your story.

In regards to the hard work. I have heard that studies show making love compared to physically running a marathon.

I don't think film guys are winning any debates here. Don't get me wrong... I love film, and I hope it sticks around for my children's children to enjoy. I do think, however, that digital has come a very long way in the past 10 years, and is making great strides. I think film and video can coexist nicely.

The film business relies on a combination of talent, luck ,skill, beauty, and technology to thrive. Yes, it's a very difficult industry, and as anyone who's ever tried to make a good feature or short knows, it's very difficult to implement. AND...as any PA will tell you, it's very, very hard to break into.

There are two camps: Break-in-Hollywood-style; and Do-It-Yourself.

It all depends on which camp you want to be a part of.

I am still at the trying to make a movie stage, so to even think of the business end gives me a headache right now...............

The art itself is challeging enough at this point.

Movie Making

Movie Making

I enjoyed reading all of the posts about how hard it is to make movies and I think that, to some extent, all of you have part of it right. However, I think you all left out an important part of the process and that is the rest of the team needed to make a movie. I have only made two movies, both TV, on the low budget side of $2-2.2 million but both were very successful and one won the Emmy for best TV movie. I was the producer but no way can I take all of the credit for that movie. At one point during the shooting we had over 200 people involved in the cast and crew. The director was great, but so was the DP, everyone in the grip department, lighting, wardrobe, etc. Then after it was shoot another army of creative people added their expertise in editing, music, sound, color timing and on and on. The trick to making a great movie is not just your own talent and your perseverance; it also involves the people that you gather around you in the creative process. Yes it is hard and yes it is worth every bit of effort. Good luck to you all. JimT

I must admit I dont have the greatest knowledge on making a film but My dad and his friend used to make them and they've told me lots of stories about what is envolved.

Personnally I wouldn't be able to make a film and I have the up most respect for directors that have such specific visions, but I believe everyone has there own talent and abilities, if we were all gifted at the same thing this world would be very boring!!

Anyway I believe it is difficult to make a film well one that is good anyway and I admire anyone that has the heart and the talent to create film because if they didn't we wouldn't have all the magical places to escape to from our real lives!!

Kind Regards Chris

Reply to Chris

Reply to Chris

Chris,
Very nicely said. If you are not up for directing, perhaps you should thinking about writing.
JimT

Hi Jim,

Welcome to this place. I'm new here but I like it very much. I'm a filmcomposer myself but it sounds like you've done alot of work in the field! You planning on doing a film or a project yourself?

Cheers,

Network Sponsors

Back