Director's Should Notice EVERYTHING

Snowman

There is something terribly wrong in this shot. Here's what it's not -

The unprofessional removal of the beer labels.

The awful angle of the camera. Though I could forgive this, if the acting were any good.

The terrible costuming. Bad lighting. Bad sound. Again, these could be forgiven if the shot and action were interesting.

There is something else that is completely WRONG. Can you tell what it is?

Well, that's insulting.

No. I had nothing to do with this. I quit a film I was making and this is a scene they rewrote and... well, whatever you want to call that.

If you can figure out what's really wrong in this shot, I'll post the scene comparisons.

Well, I would need to see the whole thing because maybe the mistakes are consistent in and intelligent artistic way that flows. What do you think is wrong with it? Tell us fast. :)

Nothing more needs to be seen to see the HUGE error.

I will say this. Never shoot anything you don't know.

I think what Kim is saying is that without context it is hard to be able to give accurate criticism. I would suggest that maybe with each thing that is "wrong" give a solution on how you would fix it. That would help the filmmaker, whoever it is, to improve on their craft and will also get your creative gears turning. Every time I am able to provide a solution I feel I grow a little as a filmmaker.

I wasn't asking for criticism. I'm asking wanna-be directors what's the terrible problem in this shot. Since I eliminated all but one thing, I'm always amazed at how no one has ever gotten it, or at least guessed. Literally if it's not the acting, camera angle, sound, lighting, costuming or beer bottles... What's left? When I've pointed out the mistake I always get the same bad answer (which frankly I don't believe). But the second error, is so blatant that it eliminates the excuse. Basically if you've ever had friends the problem should be easy to see. Hell, forget about friends, logic should dictate one of the problems.

I did give a solution already, never shoot something you don't know about.

brain games

brain games

The errors in this scene? I don't know- is this a trick question? It looks like they don't know how to play Rummy? And if Nancy's arrival is when the party can start, why is Nancy invisible? :)

The errors in this scene? I don't know- is this a trick question? It looks like they don't know how to play Rummy? And if Nancy's arrival is when the party can start, why is Nancy invisible? :)

No, and you nailed it. They're not playing any game known to mankind. Yet the actress tells Nancy "Rummy's better with four" or something like that. Congratulations, you are the first person to get that.

I wrote the script. But, the new Director and Producer decided to rewrite scenes. So, there's no rummy or actually any of the extra actresses in this scene in my original version. It took me two seconds to realize this wasn't rummy. Details matter and you get the prize.

Yes, details matter.

And to add to that- the details should serve the story.

On another note, when you said, "if you've ever had friends the problem should be easy to see,"... I was wondering if what you meant by that (and the possible error) was that the 3 friends in the scene stayed planted in their seats when the 4th person Nancy arrived. No hugs, kisses on the cheeks, or high fives. However, that might depend on the context, what happens before and after this scene, and the story. Maybe they don't really like Nancy, and they're going to gang up on her, for example.

I've never played Rummy, so I quickly youtube'd "how to play Rummy", and without really listening to the explanation of "how to play", I saw that visually the real game looks very different--- from how the cards are dealt, to how players pick up cards, how the cards are placed and viewed on the table, and scored.

Yes, details matter.

And to add to that- the details should serve the story.

On another note, when you said, "if you've ever had friends the problem should be easy to see,"... I was wondering if what you meant by that (and the possible error) was that the 3 friends in the scene stayed planted in their seats when the 4th person Nancy arrived. No hugs, kisses on the cheeks, or high fives. However, that might depend on the context, what happens before and after this scene, and the story. Maybe they don't really like Nancy, and they're going to gang up on her, for example.

I've never played Rummy, so I quickly youtube'd "how to play Rummy", and without really listening to the explanation of "how to play", I saw that visually the real game looks very different--- from how the cards are dealt, to how players pick up cards, how the cards are placed and viewed on the table, and scored.

Perhaps it's just because I'm old. But, most everyone I know has played Rummy. That's the "if you ever had friends" comment. But, even if you didn't, just look at what they're doing. There's nothing sane about it. The one girl passes or something and the other without lifting a card or anything shows part of her hand. I never met any of those actresses, and I asked the English girl what they were playing, and she said she had no idea. There was supposedly an argument on how to play rummy.

If it weren't so pathetic (they actually paid to use that awful apartment) I'd be hilarious.

Good eye. Really, I'm impressed. You are the first out of many who got it correct.

Network Sponsors

Back